1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Deadspin savages Whitlock and The Undefeated

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by bigpern23, Apr 27, 2015.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Bit of a hatchet job even if it's warranted on some level.

On another level I wonder if Jason suffers from CTE because he's painted as someone who's so passionate and on-point one day only to go off the rails the next.

And yet he comes off sympathetically other times, and Greg only scratched the surface of the psychology behind the man. "Being Jason Whitlock" would be a fascinating 30 for 30.

2. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

Interesting because few "mainstream journalists" have championed Deadspin more than Whitlock. Granted, Whitlock has never seen a bridge he doesn't want to torch, so that relationship may have gone sideways years ago.

3. RecoveringJournalist

The hatchet job is coming from the person at ESPN who sent all those memos and video to Deadspin. I'm guessing those close to the situation know exactly who leaked that stuff.

4. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Whitlock loves giving people nicknames. Read almost anything he's ever written. Leon "Scandal" Carter. PRETTY CLEVER!!!!!

He apparently has the management skills of a 14-year-old. What a shitbird.

5. RecoveringJournalist

I wonder if Peter King or Bill Simmons were that psychotic with their pitches for MMQB or Grantland.

6. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Had the same thought. I seem to remember back in their early days Whitlock was the voice always defending/supporting sites like deadspin when others would bash them. Kinda biting the hand that once fed them here.

7. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

I had forgotten the guy was alive to be honest.

8. RecoveringJournalist

Of course, they may see him as the ultimate hypocrite for going back to ESPN after everything he said about them.

9. RecoveringJournalist

He'd subbed for TK or Wilbon on PTI several times in the last few weeks. He's very good on that show.

He referenced "The Undefeated" on that show and I had no idea what he was talking about.

10. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Except this is a more formidable foe. Howard seems smart and skilled, whereas Scoop was a dimwit and piss poor writer.

It's almost like the roles are reversed. The Whitlock/Scoop feud was basically a case of a younger smarter writer launching an assault on an older hack who'd gotten too full of himself. A dynamic that smells a lot like this, but Jason ain't playing the young aggressor this time....

Last edited: Apr 29, 2015
  11. RecoveringJournalist

So, does "The Undefeated" refer to Whitlock's record against KC BBQ restaurants?

Mr. Sunshine likes this.
  12. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Those emails are a textbook example of insecurity.

Draft saved Draft deleted