1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Deadspin reveals story of masturbating ESPN exec

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Den1983, Nov 2, 2011.

1. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Had he completed his act would be be a member of the Half-Mile High Club?

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

3. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Hey now.

4. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

Now that I've had some time to process it, I have a few questions. Why would this tipster go to Deadspin of all places? Was it just to smear this guy? I guess taking the high road wasn't an option. And as far as his lawsuit against this woman, nothing is on record, not his physical altercation with her or his tug session in front of Erin Andrews. It's essentially his word against theirs.

On a side note, I'm a bit skeptical that Andrews (one of the headlining on-air personalities) didn't go to PR after the incident because she was still "shaken up" over the peephole fiasco. That's far fetched.

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I could see Andrews just not wanting to deal with crap like that for a while. She had been through a lot, and if this guy couldn't mess with her career she might have just concluded he wasn't worth it.

Seems like if the lawsuit continues it's going to eventually come down to EA giving a deposition about whether the guy was doing it on the plane, and if she says he wasn't doing it then there will be a whole lot of questions for the people who say they heard directly from her that it did happen.

6. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

But again, it's word against word with nothing concrete. I just think it was a bad idea all around for this tipster to go to Deadspin with her story without having any proof of any of this. It's all hearsay and conjecture.

7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Fucked up the executive's career and reputation but good, though, which was the whole point. I can't see myself getting that angry about workplace matters. But if she was -- and especially if the guy was messing with her career prospects -- that's the reason right there.

Remember, it's his defamation suit, so it's on him to show that this never happened. I imagine Andrews and other non-combatants in the lawsuit would be looked upon fairly credibly. So if there's a string of people saying EA told them about the incident, and if that's backed up by contemporaneous emails discussing it, she's going to have to say A) it happened; or B) she was lying and made it all up for some unknown reason. If it did happen, her firsthand account would not be hearsay.

I think the guy thought he could bully his former co-worker and Deadspin into not breathing a word of this, and he failed spectacularly.

8. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

You're probably right that he won't get the $75K (kind of a low number, if you ask me) that he's seeking, but I'm not sure this lady accomplished what she wanted to: which is ruin this guy's career without tarnishing her own name. This obviously come out.

9. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

Erin Andrews is a saint for putting up with all this garbage:

http://thebiglead.com/index.php/2011/11/04/which-baseball-tonight-anchor-refused-to-pay-a-20-bar-tab-and-played-the-do-you-know-who-i-am-card-erin-andrews-ended-up-paying/

Who would blame her if she parlayed everything into a GMA-type gig?

10. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

"Shall remain nameless... " Blog posts like this are completely useless.

As far as her parlaying it into a GMA-type gig, I'm not sure she's as talented as, say, Robin Roberts or Josh Elliott. To me, she's a pretty face. But in her interviews, I never really thought she was all that great. One man's opinion.

11. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I have a guess as to who it was.

12. sportsnut

sportsnut Member

I agree that Erin may not want to deal with more sexual bull shit after her big scandal. But, I also, don't see her as that GMA friendly anchor. She does a great job covering sports but don't see her moving past that into entertainment and serious news etc.

Draft saved Draft deleted