1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Deadspin: Manti Te'o's dead girlfriend story was a hoax

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Small Town Guy, Jan 16, 2013.

1. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

I want to believe that Manti Te'o was duped, but that's a pretty hard swallow.

I suppose it's possible that he was at least initially--he fell into an online-only relationship with someone he thought was a real person, and when he found out she wasn't, he wanted to keep it quiet to save face.

2. sportbook

sportbook Member

So Notre Dame found out that he was the "victim" on Dec. 26 and just happened to sit on it for weeks? Dennis Brown might want to start sending out resumes because that statement will haunt him for a long, long time.

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

"Conspired with others" ... such as?

4. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Hell of a story to follow.
    But this ain't Pulitzer stuff.
    It's just another scam story.

5. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Shit, if he kept a story this large quiet for 21 days, he'll get a raise, not fired.

6. I don't remember much of the story itself in terms of quotes from Te'o about here, about meeting up with her, any of that. Does anyone have anything that has direct attribution from him discussing her existence or, more specifically, meeting up with her.

7. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Manti Te'o replied to a Nigerian lottery email two years ago ... look where it got him.

8. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

This. It's absolutely astonishing that it would take this long for someone to catch and report this.

9. This...

This is really hard to swallow.

From the article its pretty clear he knew the perpetrator.

My initial thought was/is the two are romantically involved. Why else pull this kind of a stunt? To this extent?

10. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I should have added, 'relative to the uproar it's causing.'

This story will circulate farther faster than Branch's Atlantic takedown of college football, or any story that ever ran anywhere about the Marlins and stadium financing.

As a journalist I agree with your second point. Many readers, I'm afraid, do not.

11. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Could it be a front to hide the gay?

12. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Way out on a limb here ...

Any chance this was put together to hide a male lover?

Deadspin mentions this "hoax" was perpetrated by Ronaiah Tuiasosopo.

Te'o was complicit on some level, he had to be.

I really couldn't care less about his sexual preference, but at a Catholic school, from a Mormon family ...

Edit: NoOneLikesUs beats me to it.

Draft saved Draft deleted