1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Deadspin: Manti Te'o's dead girlfriend story was a hoax

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Small Town Guy, Jan 16, 2013.

1. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

You figure that broke when Deadspin was pulling this together. I'd love to hear what their running commentary was. Had to be cynical filet.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I think these are good points. I think that this is maybe more about instincts and whether someone's b.s. meter should have gone off at some point, with the accumulation of contradictory and foggy reporting. I'm not saying it necessarily should have. But that's the point - not that every death should get the Pulitzer investigative treatment.

3. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

The best of what I'm sure will be many award-winning Tweets on the subject, from NESN's Tom Curran:

@tomecurran: Report: Gipper actually felt fine that day. Rockne has 'splainin to do.

https://twitter.com/tomecurran/status/291665805358280704

4. Dick Whitman

Notre Dame statement says that on Dec. 26, Notre Dame was informed by Te'o and family that he was the victim of an apparent hoax.

5. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Wonder if this makes the front of the Star-Advertiser? I hope, I hope, I hope ...;.

6. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

"My account was hacked."

- everyone in trouble everywhere

7. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

interesting to see if the establishment media outlets like ESPN, Fox, CBS & NBC run this story high or just glance over it. This has to be a big deal covering the draft.

8. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

This is a joke, yes? Two people dying within that small a timeframe, you're writing a giant profile...check the deaths. Come on.

9. Dick Whitman

I think he lied to cover up the fact that he had an Internet-only girlfriend.

I also think he, at least for a long while, believed she was real.

10. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Crazy story. Beyond crazy.

Deadspin broke this? If so, Deadspin just won a Pulitzer. That is detailed reporting as its finest.

11. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

George Glass wonders what the fuss is all about.

12. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Anyone have a link to the statement? Haven't found it yet.

Draft saved Draft deleted