1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Deadspin: Manti Te'o's dead girlfriend story was a hoax

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Small Town Guy, Jan 16, 2013.

1. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

Just don't tell Most Def that the note he wrote was to an imaginary person. I don't think he'd be able to handle it.

2. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Not sure, but it makes sense now why he declined that invitation to the Senior Bowl, because he didn't want to have to answer questions from teams and every NFL writer in the country.

And, point of order, but is one of the reporters on this the same Tim Burke who used to be sports editor of the Palm Beach Post?

3. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Re: Deadspin: Te'o's "dead girlfriend" a hoax ...

I'm bowled over by this.

4. UNCGrad

UNCGrad Well-Known Member

Re: Manti Te'o's deceased girlfriend a fraud?

Just wondering...Is this Pulitzer-worthy? At least Pulitzer-consideration worthy? I've had friends of mine in the business suggest that. Not sure how I feel.

5. Knighthawk

Knighthawk Member

So every time an athletes mentions that a family member or significant other has died, our first question should be to get the exact municipality and date of death, and then wait for the death certificate to be available before we run the quote? What about if they miss a day to have a kid? Do we check the birth certificate? I guess marriage licenses are available pretty quickly.

Oh, and you can't *ever* be wrong if you start double-checking these things, so do a Woodward/Bernstein level of investigation before you write anything. Because if you wrote someone's girlfriend didn't exist, you damn sure better be right.

6. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

I'm not sure I understand how he couldn't have been complicit at some point?

7. I'm thinking he turned down the Senior Bowl because he wouldn't gain much playing there. If he wants to play in the NFL, he is going to have to answer all of those questions at some point.

What an unbelievable story. I hope there's some sort of decent explanation for this but it seems unlikely that's the case.

8. TurnTwo2

TurnTwo2 Member

I think because so much of the love for him is based on his character, which is certainly now in question, it should hurt a TON.

9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Did Te'o's dad announce a boycott of Deadspin yet?

10. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Notre Dame to comment shortly. Any guesses on what they can possibly say?

11. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

12. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Like dre said, I figure he was duped in an online relationship/Catfish type situation at first, and then when the dead girlfriend/grandmother angle started getting publicity, he just played along with it to save face. But all the stories of phone calls and meeting her after the Stanford game, that apparently came straight from Te'o's imagination.

Draft saved Draft deleted