1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Deadspin is hiring

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by ChrisMaza, Dec 2, 2010.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Which, for some, leads back to the money question.

2. Suicide Squeezer

Suicide Squeezer Active Member

So, is one of the big changes that you HAVE to live in the NYC metro area from this point forward, or has that always been the case?

3. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Umm...no. I doubt most Jamboroo readers take Rolf the Nazi Shark seriously.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  4. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

I will agree with you on this, assuming you're talking about Daulerio. He's a far cry from Will Leitch.

5. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Really? Why? Seriously. Provide examples. I'm curious why one would have to be racist (actually, it's RAYCESS!!!) to enjoy his columns.

6. FreshTracks

FreshTracks New Member

I can't argue with Drew Magary's talent for a good rant, but his pieces sometimes run on too long for my taste.

Regarding working at Deadspin, I think if you're a NYC-type person who wants a piece of that sports/celebrity pie, then it's a great gig.
    THIS, to me is why it would be tough to work there. Do you have the stomach for being the name behind some of the posts that go up there?

7. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

That's a statement just as easily made about Fox News or MSNBC or the WSJ or the Post. Or US or People or the National Enquirer. Hardly singular to the internet or Deadpsin.

8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Admittedly I haven't bothered reading in a few years. But I thought the one he did during the playoffs a few years ago, depicting David Garrard as a pimp trying to sell his women to the Patriots, was race-baiting of the highest order.

9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I'm not saying any of the outlets you mention are pristine. The difference is that at Deadspin/Gawker Media, breaking the rules is an expectation of the job. And that's a big difference.

10. Piltdown Man

Piltdown Man New Member

I'm not much on the dick stuff, and there are days I could use a Silkwood shower after reading Deadspin. But they do let drop the occasional "quality" thing:

http://deadspin.com/5615096/mlb-confidential-the-financial-documents-baseball-doesnt-want-you-to-see-part-1

http://deadspin.com/5555714/this-is-pete-roses-corked-bat

There isn't a newspaper I've worked for that wouldn't love to have run those stories.

11. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Prior to obtaining my current job, I would have LOVED this job. Celebrity gossip, random off-the-cuff posts and living in NYC? Sign me up.

But I'm all settled and shit now, so oh well.

Draft saved Draft deleted