1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Deadspin: Is an ESPN columnist scamming people on the Internet?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Inky_Wretch, May 1, 2012.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Yes. Quite hilarious.

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

And there's more to it.

http://nilsenreport.ca/2012/05/01/former-espn-columnist-sarah-phillips-exposed/

3. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

4. Inky_Wretch

Short version: Dude who runs that website agreed to help her get Twitter followers for a price. After a bit, he decided just to sell his Twitter account to her for $500. She never paid him. He forgot about it. She hit 50,000 followers and he demanded his money. She still wouldn't pay. So he reset the password. That prompted threats from her.

And this claim of being a professional lawyer for 21 years ...

[​IMG]

5. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

Dang.
    She has been posting updates for the last hour.

6. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

OK, now it works, but it really doesn't solve the issue. Worst. Page background. Ever.

7. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

I had to reload the page three times for all of the CSS to come up correctly. First time was straight HTML with no formatting, second got a little better, the third it worked fine.

8. Inky_Wretch

But then after Nilsen's story began making the Twitter rounds, "she" tweeted this ...

"BTW, if you want to communicate with me directly, please wait until later tonight or tomorrow. I need to change my passwords. Night."

9. Walter_Sobchak

Walter_Sobchak Active Member

I'm just amused that Hoppes referred to himself as "Mr. Lynn Hoppes" in his tweet to her.

10. gingerbread

gingerbread Well-Known Member

People in the betting industry were asking about her back in December and, according to this site, ESPN was made aware of the questions. Seems she has to be supported/fronted by more than just one or two others:
    http://beyondthebets.com/2012/05/01/deadspin-former-covers-writer-sarah-phillips-had-many-faces-and-one-of-them-was-evil/

11. Zeke12

Zeke12 Guest

I can't look away.

Sarah Phillips ‏ @SarahPhilli
    @BlkSportsOnline @NilsenReport I said I had a bad circle. I'll gladly pay $500. Send me a PayPal request to Sarah.Phillips012@gmail.com.

Lynn Hoppes: Journalist.

12. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

There used to be a line from here to Tahoe to blow Hoppes whenever his name was mentioned on this board.

Now ... not so much.

Draft saved Draft deleted