1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Deadspin: Is an ESPN columnist scamming people on the Internet?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Inky_Wretch, May 1, 2012.

1. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Don't know about y'all but I got some great story ideas out of that: Go to playoff game and cheer for other team. Pic of self to distract players shooting FTs. Quirky birth certificate bit. Gold, I tell ya. Gold!

2. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

Yeah, but the Jonas Brothers like Hoppes. Your argument is invalid.

3. gingerbread

gingerbread Well-Known Member

My fav tweets from her thus far are her explanations about "Matt," who kindly gave her thousands and thousands of dollars but apparently never met her in person:

"I was then informed by Covers management that he was playing both sides -- acting kindly to me, but trashing me to others in MSGs.

30m Sarah Phillips Sarah Phillips ‏ @SarahPhilli

The story betweet "Matt" and I is complicated. He is a video editor. He pitched the idea of a reality TV show to me. It never panned out."

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Sarah Phillips ‏ @SarahPhilli 5m

Today was a good day. I was able to evaluate everything and move away from sports media. You live and learn. I'm just a fan now.

5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

But doesn't she still have that sports humor site?

6. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

What was that movie where Matt Damon? The Informant? That's what this chick reminds me of. Maddening.

"I was adopted after my parents were killed in a car accident. I caught a break there."

7. gingerbread

My only small quibble with this incredible story is the outing of her father ... unless the reporter is hinting the father knew about her scam or had something to do with it, given his tech background?

8. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I think freqposter has met his match.

9. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Hi Sandy.

10. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

Really awesome piece. I know DeadSpin is in NY, but I'd love to see John fly out to Oregon and try to track her down.

11. gingerbread

Never in my life have I spat a drink at my computer, until this moment. :-*

12. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Gingerbread kissing 21....sdkfjdsk fsoda jfdsa

Draft saved Draft deleted