1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Deadspin interviews Doyel (SJ mentioned)

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Inky_Wretch, Nov 25, 2008.

1. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

I'm so excited...I'm so excited....I'm so SCARED

2. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

I've always enjoyed Gregg's company and his writing. I do see the characteristics in him that would turn some people off, but I am not one of them.

3. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

QUOTE: I've been irritated enough by certain anonymous SportsJournalists.com posters that I tracked every post they'd written, took notes and figured out who they were. Then I confronted them, both of them, next time I saw each of them in a press box. Didn't challenge them to a fight or anything, but let them know I knew who they were, and if they had anything else to say about the way I do my job, to feel free to say it right there. Of course they said nothing. Clowns. I got both of their ID's correct, by the way. (That story is sad enough as it is, but imagine if I'd confronted the wrong guy. Next time, maybe.)

ME: Wow, that's even more pathetic than you admit. Mr. Doyel, you're a talented guy with a great job, so why do you care so much about the opinions of some anonymous assmunch desperate to hold onto his job at the Hungry Horse News? Is it that necessary that not only must you succeed, but that you also remind others they have failed? Either your skin is too thin, or they said something that, in your heart of hearts, you knew was right.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

But I do agree with him that I don't think it's right for journalists to be ripping other journalists for the personalities or the way they conduct themselves or whatever.

I think gentle criticism of what they write or say in public is appropriate. Though I try to draw the line at pressbox fisticuffs.

5. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Anonymous posters? With opinions? As opposed to all those readers at home he knows on a first-name basis??

He comes here four times a day, to take notes on posters who rip him (which must be a daily disappointment, because he seems like a fairly insignificant character around here) so he can confront them in public? What does he do in his free time, egg his mailman's house for bringing bent catalogs?

6. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Ooh, sorry, I was calling BYH.

7. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I would hope that since he surfs here regularly, he'd know Whitlock's history here.

8. awriter

awriter Active Member

There's nothing better than a good press box fight.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I should point out that the old board got beat up in a dark parking lot for less than this.

10. JR

JR Well-Known Member

This guy has a fairly overinflated sense of self.

I'd never heard of Doyel until Inky started this thread.

BTW, has he misspelled his name since childhood?

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

What is the AWoj situation? That went over my head as well...

I've always liked Doyel.

12. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Given Whitlock's body of work as a while, I like Whitlock, a good deal.

There's been considerable, broadbased praise for Whitlock, here. In no way can this board be construed as having
    been Whitlock-negative.

Scoop? Another story.

Draft saved Draft deleted