1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Deadspin: ESPN laying off hundreds today

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by da_grand_pubah, May 21, 2013.

1. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

And then everyone bought everyone drinks!

2. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Far too much of what ESPN does is driven by what events it has the broadcast rights to. Notice how little hockey, soccer, golf, auto racing or even tennis (outside of the Slams, which it televises) news gets on ESPN. MLS pretty well ceased to exist once ESPN lost the broadcast rights. Yet it's constant overkill of the NFL, college football and Major League Baseball.

They'll spend more time in August on preseason NFL stuff than the Olympics. Why? Because a rival network has Olympic broadcast rights and they don't want to promote someone else's product.

3. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Who needs copy editors, chapter infinity:

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  4. da man

da man Well-Known Member

That's a long Achilles' tendon.

5. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

You sound like Jimmy The Greek.

6. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I'm not the one who wrote that his Achilles' extends all the way up to his knee.

7. Drip

Drip Active Member

Get used to it. More gaffes to come.

8. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

I could argue MLB gets shafted some nights because of NBA. I'm not talking about playoff basketball... in some cases, those games do deserve more coverage. It's the nights when Sportscenter spends 30 of its 60 minutes talking about an NBA regular season game.

And yes, it's likely because NBA contract is with ESPN... but your overall point is great. Some sports get crumbs. Wonder if that changes when Fox's nightly highlight show goes online?

9. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I think that ESPN accurately reflects the interests of the mass American sports market. I think the "average" sports fan has limited interest in hockey, soccer, golf (except when Tiger is playing and they will cover that), auto racing (with the exception of NASCAR, which it seems to me they cover pretty extensively) and tennis.

10. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

What if the big newspapers did that?

11. Cigar56

Cigar56 Member

So ESPN spends billions of dollars on rights to certain sports ... and then should focus its attention on sports it has no financial stake in?

That's fair and balanced journalism for sure, but not a very smart business model.

12. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Yes, it most definitely should. If not, then don't have a SportsCenter.

Draft saved Draft deleted