1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Deadspin: ESPN laying off hundreds today

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by da_grand_pubah, May 21, 2013.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I agree. I think most big cities have a ESPN(City) site. Some are officially through ESPN and some are through that cities' ESPN radio station. I don't think most people can tell the difference. Most of us can, but I don't think your average reader/viewer knows or cares what the difference is.

2. Mizzougrad96

It will be interesting to see how long it takes for the names to get leaked.

3. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Jason McIntyre mused this might have something to do with hiring Olbermann.

4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I wonder if Ray Lewis got the pink slip.

5. Mizzougrad96

Not really... He was questioning whether the layoffs would impact whether they would still hire Olbermann. He also says that seems unlikely.

I seriously doubt the layoffs will change how ESPN pursues or keeps the big names.

I don't think we're going to see a single person who falls into the "on air talent" category let go. They might not renew their contracts when they expire, but I don't think ESPN can "layoff" someone who is under contract unless they want to pay them for the remainder of the contract. That would also likely apply to most of the people who write for The Magazine or ESPN.com.

As has already been pointed out, this is likely to be producers, copy editors and people who work behind the scenes.

6. Mizzougrad96

Will that go with his white suit? :D

7. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Are they just trying to turn more profits to make the Stock Price Gods happy?

8. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Hope Lynn La Bamba's personal video crew didn't get dumped.

9. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Olbermann would come very high-priced, and is a bigger egomaniac than Berman and Reilly combined.
    As towering as ESPN's chests are, some creative financing would need to be done to bring Olbermann on board.

10. JPsT

JPsT Member

11. Mizzougrad96

TBL says the majority of the layoffs are "concentrated in sales and technology"

12. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

ESPN has spent beyond its need (not its means) and bid for live events in a way that simply overwhelms most competitors. It has spent a ton of money. Disney, the parent company, wants some recompense for it in order to maintain when it deems an acceptable profit margin.

Draft saved Draft deleted