1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Deadspin editor quits, blasts G/O management

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Regan MacNeil, Aug 16, 2019.

1. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

I think Peter Griffin said it best about New Not Deadspin:

That was 3,888 words, which, if my quick Internet research is correct, is almost three times as long as Trump's fascist rantings at his inauguration. Good job! You ramble more than Trump!

That design is horrendous and the stories are presented by some sponsor, so spare me the preening about the clean reading experience and the lack of corporate interference. And his deification of Will Leitch is the kind of selective bullshit Deadspin would have made fun of back in the day:

In one of his first posts Leitch explained, “There’s a whole side of sports that, because of either corporate obligations or just plain laziness, never makes it into the public consciousness. We specialize in that side.”

And Will has gone on to write for faceless corporate entities specializing in only showing one side of sports. I mean, you don't get any blander or more establishment than MLB dot com. Which is good! That's the way the world usually works! You grow up a little bit, realize a paycheck is nice, polish off those edges and become part of the machine. Unless you're just too principled and need your 3,888-word diatribes unedited for the world to see.

3_Octave_Fart likes this.
  2. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Stick to … sports?

3. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Yeah, they pretty much burned the site to the ground to then replace it with the same thing.

4. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

Except being not as interesting and somehow more obnoxious.

sgreenwell likes this.
  5. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Big laugh at Leitch being presented like he's some writing god.

This is a guy who seemed thunderstruck that Super Bowl marketing was a big deal, so he once wrote a 9,000-word story about it.

Kind of like Trump being so good to remind us (and not many people knew) that Abe Lincoln was Republican.

6. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

I had the idea to read Drew Magary, but forgot the Defector site is subscription only. According to Wikipedia, the site has 34,000 subs, which comes to about $3 Million.

7. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Who lasted longer, Wagner at Vice or Whitlock at Outkick?

8. Sports Barf

Sports Barf Well-Known Member

I’m sure she is leaving on good terms....

9. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Could be wrong, but that reads like a one-year contract is up. Times are tight.

10. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

there’s always a job somewhere for Laura Wagner.

11. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

She's the pilgrim on the journey who doesn't even get a Tale to tell, but still part of the entourage.

12. matt_garth

matt_garth Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted