1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Deadspin editor quits, blasts G/O management

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Regan MacNeil, Aug 16, 2019.

1. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Yeah, that'll buy lunch. Once.

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

10,000 people paid at least 69 bucks on Day 1 for this?

Twitch

Twitch

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

He can't drink because of his brain injury, but he can get as stoned as he likes, so that's what he does.

Webster likes this.
  4. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Exactly. You would think that someone as obsessed as Alma would know that.

5. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

I Should Coco likes this.
  6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

7. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

There's something a little too Taibbi'ish about the quote at the end of the paragraph:

Across the country, women are being pushed out of jobs in sports media, and the public doesn’t seem to notice. Or care. Maybe it’s because of the pandemic. Maybe it’s because the women who had broken into sports broadcasting were still outliers, and going back to all men just feels like going back to the status quo. But I can tell you from experience that it matters. Nearly every week, Hendricks and I would get calls from parents listening with their daughters. Once, on a remote broadcast, a small girl stood in front of us, an enormous smile on her face. “Mommy!” she exclaimed, “those girls are talking about sports!”

Close your eyes and tell someone to read that quote and it's straight out of a Taibbi dispatch from the political trail.

Otherwise Julie's post is good and timely and relevant.

8. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Chuck Modiano, "citizen journalist who writes for Deadspin," was making the rounds in D.C.

9. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

I wish the new site was up and running. I tried reading one of Deadspin's NFL previews ... absolute trash.

10. Severian

Severian Well-Known Member

Patience is a virtue.

11. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Zombie Deadspin still doesn't have comments enabled. It's just bizarre - I get Kotkau's email newsletter, and part of that is that they'll include 5 to 10 other stories from the other GO Media sites, like Deadspin. The only ones that ever make the cut from Deadspin are items that don't stick to sports. Some of the stuff I've read has been fine, but management basically burnt things to the ground in order to make a new version that's the same thing but way less robust. (Hey, I just described 21st century journalism, yeah but still.)

12. matt_garth

matt_garth Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted