1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Deadspin editor quits, blasts G/O management

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Regan MacNeil, Aug 16, 2019.

1. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Your quasi-regular Deadspin / GO update:

1) It's a month later, and Deadspin hasn't posted anything new since early November.

2) Kotaku reporter Cecilia D'Anastasio left that site this week for Wired. From her goodbye column: "I don’t know what it says that among the first things our new private equity bosses did was dissolve the investigative unit I was a part of. (Thankfully, I was able to remain at Kotaku.)"

2. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

Kotaku was the rare games journalism outlet that actually did journalism. Sad seeing it devolve.

sgreenwell likes this.
  3. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

It looks like an abandoned amusement park or your typical 2006 GeoCities page that hadn’t been updated since 2002.

Batman likes this.
  4. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

5. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

It's going to be much less than that in December as people realize it's dead.

6. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Yep. The November push can be attributed to "What's all the fuss about?" curiosity, I suspect.

7. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Someone fill me in... what’s the end game here?

It’s not like a magazine where you can retool, perhaps change the name, and keep the subscriber list.

The main asset, the Deadspin name and domain, is now pretty much worthless.

8. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

They paid real money for the site. No way they just let it sit forever, right? At some point they have to hire a new staff and bill it as some big relaunch or all that money is utterly wasted.

I doubt they have trouble finding people to take their money after this cooling off period.

9. sgreenwell

Ehhhh. I mean, for most of the sites, it seems like their "goal" is to slowly shutter the non-profitable parts, and to focus on the cheap parts that generate revenue. Like at Kotaku, they shut down the investigative unit, and the void has been filled by clickbait-y stuff. At this point, Deadspin seems soooo distressed, why bother? If anything, they should probably just lean into the hate and run a Barstool-style "fuck you" site that appeals to right-wing folks.

10. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

I don't understand your point. Was pissing off the Deadspin writers part of the implementation of its plan to shutter non-profitable parts, or will the new company now dump Deadspin because it has become non-profitable.

11. sgreenwell

Sorry - I meant the latter. Rehabbing Deadspin seems impossible at this point, without doing a mea culpa and dumping a ton of money into the site. Neither really seems like the style of current management.

12. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

They could run a "Where are they now?" series that features all the former Deadspin writers and editors who never realized how good they had it before they pissed uphill.

Songbird likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted