1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Deadspin editor quits, blasts G/O management

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Regan MacNeil, Aug 16, 2019.

1. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

That has one of the great lines:
    "Life is white, and I am black.
    "Jesus and his lawyer are coming back."

2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I think I read it somewhere on Deadspin.

JimmyHoward33 likes this.
  3. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

One of the good aspects of Patch to me was that it could give you some good data for things like this. I quickly came to two conclusions: 1) People outside of an area don't really give a shit about Important Games that don't feature local teams and 2) Almost nobody read articles about teams losing, even if it was like in the championship game. I did a write-up of a championship soccer game - area team lost, and the hit numbers were lowered than pretty much all of their regular season wins.

4. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

That second point is interesting, because I've always thought the story of the loser is more compelling.

3_Octave_Fart likes this.
  5. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

As storytelling, yes, the loser is the real story. Per Tolstoy, winning teams are all alike; every losing team is a loser in its own way.

That said, local fans of those losing teams don't always want to read about the losing. Not right away. Especially in the immediate aftermath of having gakked away a championship or something.

That post mortem can be unbearable. They'll revisit the Big Loss in the preview package for the next season.

3_Octave_Fart and sgreenwell like this.
  6. Hot and Rickety

Hot and Rickety Active Member

Magary says he was on the verge of jumping ship to SI in July -- for significantly higher pay -- before that place imploded along some of the same lines as Deadspin (with layoffs instead of resignations after the new owners came in):

The Gig Economy Never Leaves You

7. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I saw that. And I feel for him. He's very good at what he does.

But the truth is that it has always been hard to make a living as a writer. In the old, pre-digital days the problem was the barrier to entry. Every time you submitted something, you were up against the best writers in the world for space in the newspaper or the magazine.

Now there's literally no barrier to entry. But there's no money, either.

Lugnuts, playthrough, Batman and 2 others like this.
  8. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Really? All alike? lol

9. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Deadspinners and guys like Magary should get in touch with the editor at Heavy.com ... in the interim it's a good place to sharpen both your reporting and writing chops. I don't think you can wax about how avocado toast gives you the hot squirts though ... unless it's wrapped around some kind of homicide or perverted sexcapade with name appeal.

10. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Well, what he wrote in Anna Karenina was "Happy families are all alike; every unhappy family is unhappy in its own way."

11. Sports Barf

Sports Barf Well-Known Member

I heard Barry Peterchesky got a job. Boy that was quick

12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

No barrier to entry is its own major problem. There is so much material out there, and so many people who think they can write and report but can't, that good voices often get lost in the wilderness. The glut of people trying to do this job also makes the ones who have been doing it well for a long time incredibly disposable.

wicked and daemon like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted