1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Deadly fire in Chicago

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YGBFKM, Dec 22, 2010.

1. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

I didn't see anything, but if this is a d_b, delete it. Anyway, a building collapsed today on Chicago's South Side, killing two firefighters and injuring 14 others, four seriously. It's 100 years to the day of the stockyard fire that killed 21 firefighters, the deadliest incident in the department's history.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/chicago-firefighters-killed-14-injured-collapsed-building-traps/story?id=12459015&page=2

There is a practice among firefighters to report for work early and relieve the person working the previous shift. The 12-year veteran mentioned in the story was offered just that by his replacement on the upcoming shift, but he chose to finish out his shift at the fire.

2. zimbabwe

zimbabwe Active Member

Fucking awful.

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Terrible news. RIP to those firefighters, and strength to their families.

4. WolvEagle

WolvEagle Well-Known Member

What IJAG said.

My father is a retired firefighter. His department was pretty quiet, but still. You never know.

Whenever I see stories like this, I am so thankful my dad came home safely every day.

Draft saved Draft deleted