1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Deadlines

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by OceanLottery, Jun 4, 2007.

1. OceanLottery

OceanLottery Member

I'm not sure this is where this thread belongs, but I'll leave it here and I know the moderators will move it if need be.

My question is simple. What's the M-F deadline situation at major east coast newspapers (Boston Globe, Washington Post, NYTimes and Tabs)?

A guy I used to work with did a copy editing/paginating tryout with one of the NYTabs before moving on to his current gig and the deadline info he was throwing out was shocking to me.

Apparently they start putting the first edition to bed really early (like 6-ish), and then work on a second edition -- which hits most newstands -- and then they break for about two hours, go out to eat and such, before turning to a "late city" final, which very few newstands see.

So, could anyone share deadline times with me?

2. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

What's a deadline? :)

I'd be interested as well. I understand that it's crazy early at some major metros for first edition.

Draft saved Draft deleted