1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Deadlines make SI look bad on NFL draft predictions

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by ondeadline, Apr 24, 2008.

1. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

Newspapers don't run mock brackets because they take up huge amounts of space, and lately, newspapers don't take up huge amounts of space.

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

SI provides one of the most amazing basketball pics I've ever seen this week with the shot of Manu Ginobli's game-winning shot against the Suns. Man, what a picture. They can put as many stupid predictions as they want in their magazines as long as they keep printing stuff like this and the pic of the Houston catcher getting ready to tag our Burrell and not looking at the ball he's about to catch.

3. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

SI got sucked in by the Ireland "defense" slip.

I can't wait for the Dolphins to trade Taylor tomorrow, so a columnist down here can call Parcells the worthless, miserable, unadulterated liar he is.

Oh wait... that won't happen.

This Parcells Dolphins effort has more the feel of Unitas with the Chargers every day.

4. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

My paper ran a mock bracket this year, for the Tuesday paper before Selection Sunday. We then updated it daily on our blog. Was a great refer to the blog from the print edition, and was very well-received.

5. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I can't wait to read your paper's position-by-position matchup of the World Series . . . in August.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I think if you're talking about projecting the bowls, the NCAA Tournament or the NBA or NFL draft, readers can't get enough of it.

I think the AJC projected the bowl matchups every week from November on... I think the KC Star did as well...

7. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Maybe.

But based on circulation figures, we're batting about .034 on giving the readers what they want these days.

We'll project whom UCLA will play in the first round of their regional, but when they actually play the game . . . it will end 30 minutes after our deadline.

Draft saved Draft deleted