1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Deadliest Catch

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Just_An_SID, Apr 20, 2007.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Dead. To. IJAG.

2. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

I thought, "Hmm. A show about catching crabs. Another Boots thread?"

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

TV Alert: Man overboard on tonight's episode.

4. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Great episode ... quite moving when the captain of the Time Bandit hugged the guy they rescued.

As for the money, it's damn good. They're only out on the ocean for about a week at a time (the rest of the time is getting the boat ready) and some of the better boats are pulling in $45K per deckhand. The low end boats are still pulling in more than $20k for a week or two worth of work.

It's damn hard work and damned dangerous, but I'd consider it for that kind of loot. Do enough to become a full-share guy, do two or three seasons at a full share and (hopefully) get out while you're still alive and healthy.

Great show. Much more dramatic than it's cousin, "Lobstermen." I actually know a few guys on that show, so I watch it, but it's not nearly as good as DC.

5. greenthumb

greenthumb Member

Great, great show. Haven't missed an ep in three seasons. DVR records it all, and I can get sucked in even watching re-runs of episodes I've seen three and four times.

The Hansens are great, easily the best part of the show. Captain Phil and the Hillestrands are good, too. This season's new crews (Wizard, Farwest Leader) haven't done much for me yet, but there's some potential there. Blake's a dick, but I have a feeling he's getting a little beginner's luck right now. I'm betting opelio season takes him down a notch or two (that's when the weather is the worst).

And I'm now realizing that maybe I watch this show a little too much. Still, it's appointment viewing for me every week.

Second what others have said about Mike Rowe. I kinda wish I was Mike Rowe sometimes. What a life that guy has.

Draft saved Draft deleted