1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Deadliest Catch

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Just_An_SID, Apr 20, 2007.

1. Just_An_SID

Just_An_SID Well-Known Member

Considering how rough this week has been on most of us, I thought I'd lighten things up a bit and talk about one of my favorite shows. . .Deadliest Catch.

Does anybody else watch this? I've been hooked since it premiered two years ago and I don't miss an episode. There is something about boats going crab fishing in the Bearing Straits that draws me to the show.

Sig Hansen and his brother were on The Big Idea last night and the interview was pretty strong. It just seems so realistic. They asked Sig about the memory of friends who were killed working and he actually teared up remembering one boat that went down when he was supposed to be in another boat fishing with them in tandem.

It was amazing.

Your thoughts.

2. John

John Well-Known Member

I've watched this show quite a bit over the last year or so. Those guys are crazy, especially the guys working in the winter when the ice is forming.

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

It is a great show. I'd like to see a "Making of ..." special on the show. As bad as the conditions are for the fishermen, it's just as bad for the cameramen and their equipment.

I'm amazed at how freely the captains are sharing info with Blake, the rookie captain. He wouldn't have any crab if it wasn't for the old-timers sharing info.

Mike Rowe, the narrator, has really boosted his career thanks to that show. From doing VO work to hosting Dirty Jobs to now appearing in nationwide Ford commercials, he's really cashing in right now.

4. dawgpounddiehard

dawgpounddiehard Active Member

I started watching this show when it debuted last season and I was hooked. I guess, for me, it's something that I know I could never imagine doing and it's amazing to see these guys work under these conditions.

Slightly off topic: Can you imagine how bad it must smell on there? Six sweaty guys, bait, the sea, crab... wow.

As for Mr. Rowe... I kinda have a man crush... I find him ever so engaging on Dirty Jobs and love his VO work.

5. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

Love this show, but not until recently. Watched 3 hours worth last night.

Actually, we were talking about this show in the office not too long ago. One of our guys actually went on a boat like those for a season. He said he arrived in Alaska with change in his pocket and a place to live. Left with pretty good cash.

But I'm with the other co-worker who said, "I'm happy sitting right here in this chair in front of this computer. Those guys are tough."

6. John

John Well-Known Member

Rowe is outstanding. He was pretty funny on the Daily Show a couple of months ago.

7. Rowe is great. On Dirty Jobs, it's amazing how he just does the things, keeps a great attitude and always has something funny to say.
    As for this show, I caught a marathon last year and I was hooked. Now I DVR it every week.
    These guys are nuts. I know they are making pretty good money, but man, it's not worth it -- at least it wouldn't be to me.
    If I were to go out, I'd definitely want to be on Sig's boat or on the Cornelia Marie. Those two always seem to be getting the crab.
    Blake is just dumb. He's going to turn everyone against him very quickly.
    I can't decide what is the most white-trash show on TV -- this, Dog The Bounty Hunter or Cops. I think I'll go with Dog.

8. Just_An_SID

Just_An_SID Well-Known Member

One of the stats that they revealed on The Big Idea was that the mortality rate among crab fisherman is 30% and that the injury rate is 100%.

Both of those numbers are hard to believe, yet very easy to believe.

I love when the boats play pranks on each other. The gag with the bag of flower on the rope was hilarious. As was the gag of welding shut the pot from Blake's boat. "Keep the crab" was a classic line. It reminded me of The Godfather classic, "leave the gun but take the cannolis."

9. Hustle

Hustle Guest

Don't forget, he's been doing American Chopper since before it became a joke. And that's quite a while.

My wife and I try to catch this when we can, but it's been difficult over the past two weeks. Hopefully we can catch up.

And count me on the list of the anti-Blake folks. He was a dick last year, and the offseason doesn't seem to have changed him. Didn't he even get kicked off a boat?

10. Pencil Dick

Pencil Dick Member

SID, other than "24" this is the one show I try to catch every week.

It's fascinating, but I'm a sucker for anything that involves a frozen ocean (might have something to do with the fact that Father Pencil Dick as an 18-year-old who'd been in the Navy for less than a year had to swim 2 miles to safety off the coast of one of the Aleutian Islands when their boat capsized on patrol. This was early '50s when things were heating up on the Korean Peninsula).

11. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

I know this story...
    A guy, in Chicago, has his young daughter come up to you. She was in the office and wanted to draw, so he set her/you up...:

"Hey, you got a pencil, Dick?"

12. only show I watch

love it

and the money isn't that good considering the danger

Draft saved Draft deleted