1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Deadliest Catch - Season Five Running Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by KevinmH9, Apr 14, 2009.

1. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

From what I read, with the quota system in place and the exposure the show has brought the industry, it's virtually impossible to get on a boat now. In the old days, you could almost just show up and hook on somewhere. Now, you've got to move up there, work in one of the canneries or on the docks for a couple of years just to get your name out there.
    Not that I'm thinking of doing it, but I think on the Northwestern's web site is where I read Sig saying that to people looking for jobs.

2. StaggerLee

StaggerLee Well-Known Member

Yeah, I can imagine that Shoeless. It's like anything when people see it, they think they can do it. About the time American Chopper started to become really popular, my little smalltown of approximately 30,000 people had three custom bike shops open up. Only one is still in operation.

I imagine there's a lot of "manly men" who watch Deadliest Catch and think they could do those guys' jobs. Reality is that a small segment of the population could do what they do.

3. Wallace

Wallace Guest

My dad was a crab fisherman in Alaska for four seasons. He'd return from crab fishing to our home in the PNW and was a logger in the meantime before becoming a firefighter. He's spun many, many tales about his time on the crab boats, but two of the points have always stuck out to me from watching the show:

*Every single boat, he said, had one guy that was the complete asshole jaded crab fisherman who knew everything, and no matter how nice you were, the guy was going to be a dick to you. You saw this a bit more in the early seasons of DC.

*There was (this was maybe 20 years ago when he fished) LOTS of drug use, as you can probably imagine. Or as he told me "Coke and speed for breakfast, booze and weed for dessert." I wasn't shocked. I know most of the DC captains claim their boats are drug-free, but man...

Anyway, thought it was interesting. My dad laughs when he hears people watch the show and talk about how rugged it is and would like to give it a try. He always described it as the hardest thing he's ever done in his life. This is coming from a guy whose been a firefighter in the busiest city in our state for the last 26 years.

4. Wallace

Wallace Guest

A quick add: for those of you who like Deadliest Catch, I suggest you read the book Lost at Sea by Patrick Dillon. It's about two boats out of Anacortes, Wash., that were lost at sea. I originally read it because my father was on one of the boats the year before, but its a good read regardless.

5. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

Anyone catch American Chopper tonight?

Don't want to ruin it for those who haven't, but the long-awaited meeting finally happens.

Also, apparently there have been more layoffs, but they couldn't have affected any regulars, since they were only mentioned in passing.

Also, they're getting a paint booth installed on the premises. I hope that doesn't mean the end of The Nubster.

'NUBBBBBBBAYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!'

6. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Did notice that Nubby is given a huge thanks on Vinnie's website, appears to be working with Vin quite a bit -- hope that didn't put him in OCC's doghouse.
    And, Norm -- since I don't have cable... can you PM me what happened at the meeting?

7. StaggerLee

Yeah, I just finished watching it Norm. It looks like the patchwork job they did during the meeting might not hold very long.

I think they have to come to some kind of agreement where Paulie is his own boss. Because Paulie will not start coming in at 7 a.m. and will not stop taking two-hour lunch breaks because his dad doesn't like it.

Oh, and I forgot to add, the last four or five bikes they've built have been horrible, in my opinion. It's obvious that most of the very cool bikes OCC has designed have come from Junior's ideas.

8. Norman Stansfield

Agreed on both points. It's also tough to watch at times because Jr., despite being a pain in the ass at times, was the guy who seemed to draw everyone else out and make the shop seem like a fun place. Neither that new Lee guy nor Rick (nor Puhl, too) has the personality to really draw you in by themselves.

And on an unrelated note, man, Sr. and Jr. must just be swimming in money. It really hit me in the last couple shows, especially them showing Jr.'s house so much. But they're both always driving new Escalades and Hummers and stuff...must be nice. They sure owe a ton to whomever came up with the idea for the TV show.

9. kokane_muthashed

kokane_muthashed Active Member

This cracked me up: When the guys are having their discussion at the old OCC shop, neither one would look the other in the eyes as they were talking. I don't think Sr. looked in Paulie's direction once during the entire conversation.

10. Just finished this week's episode. That ending makes for good TV, but it's painful to watch them search and search and find nothing but a corpse.
    Hope they can find some people alive.

11. StaggerLee

Or how about when they hugged and Paul Sr. quickly diverted the conversation to the original OCC door. You can tell neither guy is real big about displaying emotion toward each other. It's just a very awkward thing to watch.

And then you have Mikey, who seems to have no problem displaying his emotions.

12. Norman Stansfield

Remember that one blowout they had 4-5 years ago where they parted ways for a few days, then eventually got back together and were literally bawling in each others' arms, apologizing?

Looks like those days are long gone :'(

And what do you think Mikey really does? How much does he make? I've often wondered that.

Does Sr. just basically support him? Does he do other work for OCC outside of the shop. I'm guessing that's probably what it is.

Man, I'd LOVE to be involved in some sort of family business...

Draft saved Draft deleted