1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Deadliest Catch - Season Five Running Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by KevinmH9, Apr 14, 2009.

1. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

I never have been real impressed with any of the OCC bikes. The theme bikes are nice to look at but I bet they ride for crap. Those big rake choppers are fine in a straight line but you couldn't turn one around in a parking lot. Jesse James' bikes are much better (of course I could never afford either one so it doesn't matter).

Most of the DC guys ride hi performance Harleys. I've heard Jonathan talk about blasting down the road at 100+ on his, so that goes back to the line of thinking of eat, drink and be merry for tomorrow they might die.

2. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

Anybody catch DC tonight? Some pretty compelling stuff again.

Sig going on 30 hours without sleep trying to captain the boat in the dark, in an oncoming storm...a mayday 900 miles away that takes the Coast Guard seven hours to respond to...discord on the deck of the Time Bandit...

I swear, that 60 minutes flies by faster each week for me.

3. Shoeless Joe

Did you notice the one time Sig nodded off while talking to the camera? That was funny.

How many people think they could actually do that for a living? I think I could do it physically, but doubt I'd be able to mentally. I dislike being cold and wet, so I think that'd pretty much rule me out.

4. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

Yeah, that was scary.

I've actually had times where I've been awake 24-25-26 hours straight, and I can tell you my body does NOT react well to that. I literally get physically sick at that point. I guess they're all conditioned to working like that so it must not affect them much, but that's also the danger of it -- being zombies on the deck and without sleep for a day in a half probably increases your chance of going overboard about 100 times.

I don't think I could do it for a full journey, and I'd be considered to be in pretty damn good shape for my age. Those guys are madmen. Plus, I don't think there's any way I could deal with the seasickness aspect of it. Those huge waves would have me puking my guts out in about 30 seconds.

5. DirtyDeeds

DirtyDeeds Guest

Yeah, I can't even imagine going that long without a break. And now the storm is just starting to blow in. That can get really dangerous really quickly. I know the adrenaline perks them up at times, but they're taking huge chances going that long without sleep. That's not the first time I've seen Sig nodding off in the wheelhouse, either.
    Not sure what the deal is on the Time Bandit. So they brought Mike back, but now they are going to have to fire someone at the end of the season? That's pretty odd. But I get the feeling that a lot of the tension is being manufactured.
    I don't think I could do the full season, either, but I don't think I'd be like Moi or whatever that guy's name was who was whining the whole time. Or the black guy who threatened to jump off if they didn't take him home. But after 30 hours of no sleep, I couldn't guarantee what my state of mind would be.

6. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Back when I was moonlighting, there were two-day spans when I'd work the day job, be up all night doing work on the second gig (a magazine), then work the day job again. So, pretty regularly, I'd go 32-40 hours without sleep. The mag was every two weeks, nine months out of the year. It was pretty tough. Many times, I'd drive home afterwards and fall asleep after parking in front of my place. Was never in danger of falling asleep behind the wheel (in motion), but once I was safe at home... crash hard wherever I felt comfy. A few times, it was still sitting in the car.

7. Those guys were unintentionally hilarious. I wanted to punch Moi. He got on my nerves quick.
    There is NO way I could do that job. No. way.

8. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

That's amazing, I almost fall alseep every day on my way home from work at 5 pm. And I always get more than 7 hours of sleep.

9. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Well, I'm pretty sure there were long-term effects, though. I gave up the magazine in mid-2007, and I still haven't been able to settle into a regular sleep cycle. And, of course, I'm pretty much a narcoleptic now -- can fall asleep anywhere, anytimmm.... zzzzz

10. Shoeless Joe

I could MAYBE do the king crab season in October, but to be up there in January ... no way. I could handle the motion. I was on a small ship in the Navy, so I know what that's like. We weren't churned up like a fishing boat, but we still took pretty good rolls.
    The mental aspect is what would kill me the most. When I do a job, say setting the pots, I usually keep a count of how many there are to go. With those guys, it's never ending.
    When I spring for crab, I don't begrudge them one bit what it costs.

11. I'm the same way. I have grown to understand and appreciate the cost of crab legs.
    Can you imagine doing that shit 20, 30 years ago, hand coiling and all that other stuff. Jeez.

12. StaggerLee

StaggerLee Well-Known Member

I feel the same way. No possible way could I do opies. If stacking and pulling pots weren't enough, you have the painstaking task of breaking ice every damn morning. And of course, there's always that threat of the boat rolling over with the added weight of the frozen pots.

There's a guy in this state that owns and operates a very successful and rapidly growing fried chicken franchise (Raising Cain's, if you know Louisiana) and he got the funding to start the business by spending a couple of seasons in Alaska hopping from boat-to-boat. I've heard him tell the story before and he says it's a high risk/high reward lifestyle and the vast majority of the fishermen last only one or two seasons before "retiring."

Draft saved Draft deleted