1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Deadliest Catch - Season Five Running Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by KevinmH9, Apr 14, 2009.

1. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

Wow, that's a great story. That's cool that he's as down-to-earth as he seems on TV.

Did he smoke as much in the bar as he does on his boat???

:D

2. StaggerLee

StaggerLee Well-Known Member

That's a cool story. I would love to tour one of those fishing vessels. My dad worked offshore on a drilling platform and various barges when I was younger and I spent a few nights out there with him. I can attest to the sleeping quarters being small. It's basically the size of an average adult male, you have very little wiggle room. Claustrophobic people would not make it on most of those boats.

The best part of those trips, for a 12-year old boy at least, was sitting in the galley area watching movies. They must have had 1,000 VHS tapes. LOL

Maybe one day I'll get up to Seattle and look for that bar and the Sea Star.

3. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Damn. Now I'm kicking myself. I should have called Sig and Edgar at home. Hmm. Wonder if I can still find those numbers...

Oh, and talking about the pranks, I missed the pickup truck. Was that during season four (last season)?

4. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

There are too many things said in the thread that it's tough to second and third, but here goes:

DC is my favorite show. It's the only series of any kind that I really watch.
    I'm sure all of these guys are down to earth. Although they are celebs at the moment, the life they live is far from it.
    I like the Time Bandit crew most of the all. If I could drink with one of them, it would be Jonathan.
    I don't like Keith, but I certainly didn't want him to get injured.
    On smoking, I'm sure most of them smoke like trains because they don't figure that'll be what kills them.
    I enjoy American Chopper, but it has become less and less about the bikes than the family. I don't give a shit that they took a vacation to Africa or Australia.
    They don't truly fabricate many of the bikes anymore. They just assemble factory parts in a custom manner.
    They screwed up by letting Vinnie leave.
    I don't think Paul Jr. can really be fired. I might be wrong, but I understand he is actually one of the owners, not just Paul Sr. 100 percent.

5. Norman Stansfield

Yeah, the pickup truck was last season. Frickin' hilarious.

6. Killick

Thanks, Norm. Thought about picking up season 4 from the local library. This makes it a lock. Doing it Tuesday.

7. That is a cool story!
    Wasn't the Sea Star Capt. Larry's boat on the first season?

8. kokane_muthashed

kokane_muthashed Active Member

Not to threadjack DC, but I was wondering last week during AC what ever happened to Vinny? When did he leave? I've watched very little American Chopper the last two seasons.

9. StaggerLee

StaggerLee Well-Known Member

From what I've read, OCC was established in 1999 as a joint business between Senior and Junior (who I didn't know is not really a junior after all, his middle name is different). I think Senior is the majority owner though, like 51-49. Still, it makes no sense that he could actually fire Junior. It's like Baskin firing Robbins.

Vinnie started his own custom shop called V-Force Customs. He hired Cody away from OCC and has been doing really well. His first big custom bike he did was for an Arena football team in Florida. Looked pretty sharp.

I agree that Vinnie was a huge part of what drew me to that show. Also, I'm not a motorcycle buff or anything, but I appreciate the craftsmanship. That's lost since they've focused mainly on the family and not the bikes.

Maybe we should just rename this thread to Deadliest Catch/American Chopper Running Thread, since most of the people here seem to be fans of both shows.

10. Norman Stansfield

I always got the sense that Paul Sr. was really pissed about Vinny leaving.

He didn't give him much of a sendoff in his last episode, and made a couple of veiled remarks about him in ensuing episodes.

Assuming he gets business off his reputation from the show, it was probably a wise move. It had to piss him off royally to be sitting there doing the majority of the work on those things, only to have Junior come strolling in late, leave early and then take all the credit at the unveilings.

I guess you can do that as part-owner, but still...

11. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

I have read that as well, that at some point he maybe didn't ask for part of the company but for maybe a little more pay and credit and Paul Sr. said no he was just another employee so that as the beginning of the end.

12. Killick

Checked out Vinnie's website. Very conspicuously avoids any mention of the Teutels, OCC or American Chopper - to the point of saying he and Cody became known for appearing on "a reality show." Would support the theory that there's bad blood, IMHO. BTW, not terribly impressed with the bikes they've hot on their site, either. Part of that is probably not having all the cool toys, deep pockets to do the really wild stuff.

Draft saved Draft deleted