1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Deadliest Catch - Season Five Running Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by KevinmH9, Apr 14, 2009.

1. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

Yeah, it's amazing to me that Phil can have these terrible health problems, then in every shot he continues to be puffing away.

Sig could be next -- he smokes almost as much.

I realize it's a terrible habit, but at some point you'd think living would take precedence.

2. DirtyDeeds

DirtyDeeds Guest

I was disappointed that Phil had to stay behind, but I don't think the Cornelia Marie's in trouble. Murray took over at the end of last season after all that went down, so he knows what he's doing. I was surprised he said he wasn't prepared, since they had a good season with him at the helm while Phil was in the hospital.

3. kokane_muthashed

kokane_muthashed Active Member

Good episode.
    When I saw the beginning, I thought, "Phil's back?!! Man, I don't want see him die on this show!" Hope he takes it easy.

4. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

The Hilstrands (Time Bandit) were just on the Bonnie Hunt Show. Pretty cool, pretty funny. Even stayed after their interview to show Bonnie a few crab recipes. Never thought I'd see that...

5. Cape_Fear

Cape_Fear Active Member

I'm not that surprised with Murray saying he wasn't prepared even though he took over last year.

He was preparing to be second in command again not No. 1. It's sort of like a back-up goalie being told minutes before the game he was starting instead. The preparation process is totally different.

6. DirtyDeeds

DirtyDeeds Guest

Agreed. But he was pretty much thrown into the fire last season, too. But I guess he just looked at that more as a temporary thing.

7. Just_An_SID

Just_An_SID Well-Known Member

Great show. One of the best on TV right now.

This season opener seemed a little more intense. I think they tried to set up a couple of themes that could run throughout the season. It will be interesting to see where they go.

Great prank of pouring the water and flour on the guy who is back after missing a couple of seasons. . . the pranks are always the best.

The king crab season seems to always be a little milder than the opilio season when the weather really kicks up.

8. DirtyDeeds

DirtyDeeds Guest

Some of the preview scenes in the beginning were pretty intense, and there was one wave that looked like it was about 80 feet.

The best prank is a tie between the old pickup the Hansens tied on Phil's line and the port-o-potty the Wizard crew tied to the end of someone else's line. All those pranks are hilarious.

Craziest thing in the opener was Johnathan dropping a box of fireworks in the burn barrel. Those guys are nuts.

9. Wallace

Wallace Guest

My Tivo clipped the ending of the show and the last thing I saw was Captain Keith banging his head on the bottom of the boat when he was diving under it to get the zync stuff taken care of. Can anyone fill me in on what happened after that? Must have hurt like a SOB.

10. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

They just got him out of the water and onto the boat. Looked like he had a gash and possibly a concussion by the looks of it.

Show ended then, so they'll probably pick up with it next week.

11. Wallace

Wallace Guest

Thanks Norman. I thought for a second it looked like there was blood in the water but wasn't sure.

12. mltru2tx

mltru2tx Member

Someone mentioned how cool Sig and the Hansens were at Disney World, and I can second that, except mine was on a little more intimate level (yes, I am bragging :) )

I was in Seattle and my friends who I went to visit were at work, so I decided to take a "Deadliest Catch" day and be my own little tour guide. I went to the Locks and happened to see a place called "The Lockspot", which is a dive bar where I'd heard a lot of the fishermen hang out when they're docked. They actually filmed a few episodes of "After the Catch" there. So I go in and eat the best Fish and Chips I've ever eaten, and drink a few beers while chatting up the bartender, whose husband was a fisherman for more than 30 years.

Next thing I know I'm there for a few hours and I look over and Sig is sitting next to me. I beat him down with questions and he gladly answered them all and talked to me for a long time. Really cool dude, who's obviously lived a really tough life, but has a passion for it. He drank more beers than I've ever seen someone drink and still be able to stand, but he was more than just standing, he was completely normal. It was nuts.

I asked him what I should do with the rest of my day and he suggested going to tour this boat that was at dock...an old DC alum, the Sea Star. They give tours now and it's really cool. Turns out there's TV monitors thorughout the boat explaining stuff and it's Sig doing the explaining. So whether it was a money-making ploy by him or not to get me to go there, it was incredibly cool to be able to walk through a boat like that and have full access to it. It's insane how small parts of the boat are, namely the sleeping quarters.

Draft saved Draft deleted