1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Deadliest Catch - Season Five Running Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by KevinmH9, Apr 14, 2009.

1. StaggerLee

StaggerLee Well-Known Member

I'm anxious to see how this season of American Chopper plays out with Paul Jr. being fired the first show into the season. It looks by the previews that Paul Jr. won't be around for at least a few episodes.

Not to hijack the Deadliest Catch thread, but I gotta think OCC will go downhill without Paul Jr. He seems to design all of their most popular bikes.

2. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Whoa! I didn't know that about Junior getting fired! There was something mentioned when Senior was on Letterman a few weeks ago, but it was unclear what was going on. Now, I know.

What happened, exactly?

I agree about Junior being the heart of OCC, too. In about 95 percent of the fights between dad and junior, I side with Junior because he's the one doing the designing, all the cool stuff. Senior just blusters around. Guess it's time to see if he can still hack it.

3. StaggerLee

Normal fight about Junior not being in at 7 a.m. with everyone else. Heated argument got out of control, Junior made comment that the company wouldn't be where it was today without him, Senior blew a gasket and fired him.

Rest of the episode followed Senior on the NHL bike and Bomber bike build while Junior sat at home consulting with people about starting his own business.

I gotta think at some point the execs at TLC will intervene and try to reconcile, because American Chopper just won't be the same without the bickering. TLC knows it, that's how they promote the show, it's not about the bikes, it's about the fights.

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Anytime I'm feeling a couple quarts low of manliness, Deadliest Catch ramps it up again. Saw the scene of them saving that guy who fell while chaining the cages. Amazing seeing how emotional those guys got.

5. StaggerLee

I can't wait to watch it tonight. It's amazing how tough those guys are, but at the same time, you see that soft, sensitive side that comes out when death is knocking on the door.

Oh, and getting back to the Hansens, my brother-in-law and his family ran into the Hansens at Disney World earlier this year. Apparently, the Hansens were doing some promotional work and had the whole family out there.

He said Edgar and Sig, especially Edgar, were so down-to-Earth and awesome to talk to. My brother-in-law works on a shrimp boat, so they were telling fish stories and he said they talked for a good 30 minutes before a publicist came and whisked them away.

6. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

My last threadjack, I swear. Just went to the AC website and watched the fight.
    Ho-lee F*CK!
    I think the "firing" will be short-lived, tho, since there was also a commercial kind of making fun of it -- with Sr., Jr. and Mikey at family counseling.

Now, back to Deadliest Catch...
    I'm almost ashamed to admit after watching Season 2 on DVD, I got curious and looked up Sig and Edgar on the 'net. Found addresses, phone numbers for both. Came close to calling up and being an idiot fanboy ("Dude! You guys rock!"), but sanity finally overtook me.

7. StaggerLee

I've read DC message boards and it seems the Hansens enjoy the public feedback. I guess those guys are milking the celebrity status while they have it.

8. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

Check your local freezer sections. At mine, there is Captain Sig frozen fish products.

A good opener, to be sure. Good to see that Mike is back on the Time Bandit. Seems to be a good dude... and of course, he got quite the welcome back.

9. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Love both shows, though I haven't watched Chopper nearly as much since it moved from Discovery to TLC.

Wish I could get my hands on the song they play in the commercials for the season premiere of Catch. Great piece of music.

10. DirtyDeeds

DirtyDeeds Guest

The DVR was still set! Just got finished with the opening ep. Pretty decent start, although pretty standard setup. Watching the intro montage, it looks like it's going to be an intense season, with one of the boats (looked like possibly the Wizard) in deep, deep trouble. And it's already been a rough few days for Keith. I don't like the dude much anymore, but damn I felt sorry for him after the boat dropped on his head. I hope he fixed the problem first!

11. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

I think the Cornelia Marie crew might be in bigger trouble after one of the guys had to stay behind because of blood clots due to his smoking habits.

12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Rogue Ales is offering a Deadliest Catch Ale (with proceeds going to the Fisherman's Fund). I think they ship.

Draft saved Draft deleted