1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

'Deadliest Catch' captains jump ship (UPDATE: ... and they're back)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Killick, Sep 29, 2010.

1. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Unless it's a negotiating ploy, trying to get more dough out of Discovery, it looks like the Hillstrands and Sig Hansen are done.

http://hollywoodinsider.ew.com/2010/09/28/deadliest-catch-captains-have-reportedly-left-the-popular-discovery-series/

I wouldn't be too disappointed about the Hillstrands, but DC without Sig, Edgar and the Northwestern? Ugh.

2. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Re: 'Deadliest Catch' captains jump ship

I think they all are milking their fame, but Discovery is telling them you're nothing without us.

3. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

I'd be happy to see the Hillstands go. They crapped their bed when they skated on their own series, which boggles my mind considering they are camera whores.

I'm surprised Sig is pulling out. It seems like I read once where he was kinda the spark that started the show in the beginning.

Money wise, the Northwestern will do fine without the show, and that crew took advantage of the celebrity life but didn't seem to let it consume them. The Time Bandit boys won't know how to act not being the center of attention, and that boat makes half of what the others make.

4. SoCalScribe

SoCalScribe Member

So, no Phil, the Northwestern or the Time Bandit? I mean I like Keith alternately crying and berating, but other than the Harris kids trying to make a go of it they're going to have a lot of work trying to create compelling storylines. So much was set up for good TV with Edgar wanting to quit, Johnathan wanting to quit, etc., and now those storylines are dead.

But, hey, Mike Rowe can still simultaneously condescend while "being one of the guys" on another 11 episodes of After the Catch.

5. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

They may as well jump ship considering the show's basically jumped the shark.

6. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

The most amazing thing is that people watched the same show over and over again for six years: crew goes out in the middle of the ocean, big waves come, crew freezes its ass off, boat breaks down, captain bitches about his workers, everyone makes a ton of money.

7. SoCalScribe

SoCalScribe Member

I don't think anyone kept watching because of the fishing; that can and does get boring and repetitive. It's more about the stress and the personality conflicts and the characters. And the weather is often an interesting factor as well.

8. Killick

... and they're back. Wouldn't be surprised if they got more money, along with the lawsuit being dropped.

http://www.tvguide.com/News/Deadliest-Catch-Stars-1024167.aspx

9. Shoeless Joe

They're heading up to Dutch to begin filming ....
    I kinda thought they'd be already up there because, uhh, it's king crab season.

10. Killick

Crab season opens Oct. 15.

11. Shoeless Joe

that's a week from now, and considering the prep work before getting under way, it's king crab season

Draft saved Draft deleted