1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dead woman reappears in Fla.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, May 2, 2013.

1. AtticusFinch

AtticusFinch Member

Live fairly close to the town in PA from where she disappeared. Pretty big news around here. Ex collected on insurance when she was declared legally dead. His hurt and anger can only be compounded by the fact that he of course was the first suspect in the case after she disappeared.

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

She now looks like Nick Nolte in his DWI photo.

3. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Won't he have to repay the life insurance money as well?

4. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Maybe there are statutes of limitations in play? He didn't commit fraud. Still, he may be ponying up.

5. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Wasn't thinking he was liable for fraud but she's not dead. It'd be shitty if it happened but I could see an insurance company wanting the money back.

6. AtticusFinch

AtticusFinch Member

My initial thought was no, only because there was no fraud or deception on his part, but I'm not sure. They certainly aren't going to get anything from her...

7. doctorquant

Ever read Grisham's The Partner? The protagonist faked his death, wifey got a big payout, when he re-appeared, she was on the hook for the proceeds.

8. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Would have to think that the agreement he signed to get the insurance covers that contingency. She was declared legally dead.

9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

It's a pretty good bet some litigation is on the way.

The woman obviously doesn't have two nickels to her name. The ex-hubby I also suspect is not rolling in dough.

10. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Then clearly that must be how it works in real life.

11. doctorquant

Nah ... but I'm pretty sure Grisham didn't pull that out of his ass, either. It's plausible is all I'm sayin' ...

12. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Just yankin' yer chain. It is quite plausible. Insurance companies don't like to give money away when they don't have to.

Draft saved Draft deleted