1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dead mouse in basement

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Rusty Shackleford, Feb 23, 2013.

1. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

What's the best way to deal with a dead mouse in the basement? Obviously I scooped up the body and trashed it, but if there's one there's more. Orkin just sprayed the place a few weeks ago, but I think that was for bugs. How do you get rid of them, and then keep them out? Other than the preferred option of burning the place down?

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  3. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

I've tried electronic warfare with some apparent success.

http://www.amazon.com/2000-Electromagnetic-Ultrasonic-Rodent-Repeller/dp/B000LNV244

I use a combination of these and some smaller ones by Black and Decker.

I went with this idea first, because I would rather have the varmints say, screw this, we're going somewhere else, than dying inside the walls and creating awful smells.

Some people say they don't work. So, YMMV. They may not work immediately, but given a week or two or so, varmints seem to say screw it.

The key is to get ones that are both electronic and ultrasound, and get ones rated to cover a lot of rooms.

And Rusty, you, of all people (given your avatar), shouldn't be asking how to kill things!

4. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

I've never had to deal with mice before, but I know my parents have had a lot of success with those electronic plug in deals that Vombatus posted. No mess, low maintenance and they work. Plus they're humane, if you care about that sort of thing. But very effective overall.

5. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

I've heard those electronic things are worthless. Do they actually work? What brand?

6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Mouse and rat poison. Sold in every hardware store. We put it out every winter in the garage and every spring in the kitchen. Not a pleasant chore, but it beats the little turds in the silverware drawer.

7. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

This should do it.

[​IMG]

8. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

9. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

10. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Yes, they work. Not much good on a dead mouse, though...but they will drive out the live ones. I've seen them work.

11. jackfinarelli

jackfinarelli Well-Known Member

A cat plus mouse poison will probably clear the problem.

There is a way that "they" are getting into the basement. Find the breach and plug it with something like steel wool and that will help too.

But a cat and some poison are the "final solution"...

12. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

I love me some sticky traps. I beat back an invasion of roof rats into a little standalone apartment a few years ago mainly using those.

Draft saved Draft deleted