1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dead mom of Westboro founder Fred Phelps might be gay now

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Songbird, Jul 19, 2013.

1. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

"I love my dead, gay, satan-worshiping mom."

2. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

If they didn't want the publicity and just wanted to show up and protest, why would they issue press releases every time they planned to protest something?

They actually thrive on conflict and threats. You can walk up and punch one of them and a lawsuit will be filed before you've finished cleaning their blood from your fist. Then your money will help pay for their next dumbass adventure.

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Because they want publicity to spread their message. But they don't want the negativity.

They've stopped going to the funerals because of the negative reaction to them. When they first started, there weren't the protests and the motorcycle patriots blocking them, so they did their thing.

4. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

No, they LOVE the reaction. They're publicity whores.

People ignored them at first because no one thought a group of people were that depraved.

Sadly groups like the Patriot Riders, which have wonderful intentions, just feed the Phelps beast all that much more.

5. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

They announced they were going to picket the memorial service for the 19 firefighters in Prescott, Arizona. They didn't show up, but an affiliated church group did. They got out of a van the day before the service, got out their signs and were immediately surrounded by a chapter of the Hell's Angels. The Hell's Angels told them "We know what you look like, we've seen your van, and we're going to follow it until the service is over. You will not be going anywhere near the service." It was remarkably effective.

6. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Jesus, Baron, you cannot honestly believe these people are concerned with "negativity."

How the hell do you think they find other nutcases to send them donations and/or become new members? How the hell do you think they spread their twisted little message? It sure as hell ain't from the actual picketing--I know I've never actually seen any of em and I bet you haven't either--the only reason the world knows about em is because of the "negative" press coverage, they love it and live off it.

Plus, they'e also notorious litigation hounds known in the past for (successfully) suing those who try anything against them. They only get their lawsuits by provoking "negative" reactions from others.

7. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

They aren't getting many new members, either. Pretty much all of them are Phelps' offspring.

8. Baron Scicluna

They think they're right and everyone else is wrong. Without the negative press, nobody would know about them, and they'd feel free to march wherever the fuck they'd want without any reprecussions.

They see it as a win-win either way. Either they get the attention and more money by backing down, or they get ignored and they get to screech their bullshit all they want at some poor families who are already going through a terrible time.

They're chickenshit bullies. And if bullies see that the victims aren't fighting back, they'll feel free to continue to bully until they get a reaction. And in this case, when they do get a reaction, they start crying and sue.

9. fossywriter8

fossywriter8 Well-Known Member

Awesome.
    I watched the news video but couldn't make out the name on the gravestone, and the announcer also didn't say her name. I was sure hoping I'd see or hear the name Heather.

10. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

They already march wherever the fuck they want without any repercussions that genuinely concern them. What's actually preventing them from appearing at everything they claim they'll appear at (most of which they never have any intention of appearing at even when they release the bogus attention-seeking press release claiming they'll appear) are financial, logistical and practical limitations, it doesn't have a goddamn thing to do with negative press coverage, patriot motorcycles, or anything else like that.

And a world where "nobody would know about them" is their greatest nightmare and would be a fine world indeed, as I see it. Their goal was to become famous. The negative press coverage is what got them there.

They are not bullies. They are attention whores. Sorry that you do not understand the difference.

Bullies exploit a position of strength over a weaker party. WBC does not have a position of strength over those they protest against. Instead, virtually the ENTIRE FRICKIN WORLD sides with the protestees over the protesters here.

So, why do they do it despite the fact that EVERYONE with power sides against them? Simple answer: publicity and attention. It makes them famous. It makes the world notice them. It attracts the occasional dispersed weirdo oddball willing to donate them money or join them. It might provoke others into lawless action that might support a successful lawsuit. The attention works for their purposes, so they don't care that it makes most of the world hate them even more.

11. Baron Scicluna

They're both bullies and attention whores. They started their little cult so they could bully people at their most vulnerable, at the funerals.

Here's a little girl who started a lemonade stand next to the "church", with money going towards anti-bullying programs. Of course, the "church" calls her a "satanic liar.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/lemonade-stand-westboro-baptist-church-raises-thousands-article-1.1375502
    ]
    There's also a Facebook page titled "Westboro Baptist Church is a Bully". Look it up.

There are multiple other pages using "Westboro Baptist" and "bullying" as search words. Do a Google search.

12. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I can Google "A-Rod" and "Mother Teresa" and also come up with hits. Doesn't make it accurate.

It's not our fault people don't know the meaning of words.

Draft saved Draft deleted