1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Dead Man's Chest"

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by spnited, Jul 9, 2006.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I would suggest, tho, if you get the chance to see it in digital do it... much better picture and effects....

2. tonysoprano

tonysoprano Member

Sweet. Will do...thanks for the suggestion.

3. WSKY

WSKY Member

Going to see it tonight, hope it as at least half as good as the first one.

4. PEteacher

PEteacher Member

Blah...

5. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Ahh, fuck a duck.

OK, it's actually a cute movie, and probably worth $10. If you liked the first, you'll like this one, too. But 150 minutes is waaaaaaaaay too long for a mindless, humorous, feel-good movie. Shouldn't be any longer than 120, and 90 would be even better.

Here's a pet peeve, though, and this doesn't completely have to do with Pirates, but it does tie in:

Whatever happened to making a movie to stand on its own legs anymore? Every time I go to see one of these types of movies, they always set it up on a tee for the sequel and/or trilogy finale, which is obviously just a cash-cow ploy to make a few bucks. I don't mind them making a throwaway sequel for the money, I understand how the biz works, but just make a goddamn movie and let that be that. Then, if you want to do a sequel/finale, write the script to where it ties in some familiar characters and whatnot, and make another movie that is its own movie.

The classic example is the Indiana Jones series. All three of those somewhat tie in together, but they're all their own separate films, each standing on their own storylines. This setting it up on a tee business ... sheesh. It's (partly) what ruined the Matrix trilogy, which was lining up to be a legendary series with the first two, but was ultimately a letdown at the end.

Tonight, it makes it look like they were not even interested in making a good movie this time around, they just want to keep the possibility of a third movie alive if they want it. I'm sick of that shit. I'm very let down by Hollywood ... again. I wanted to enjoy this one, and I was starting to, but then they go and pull that shit. Fuck.

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

Buckweaver, shut the hell up and buy your Pirates of the Caribbean cups and toys at Burger King.

7. The movie reviews for this were mixed. Cnn.com flat out hated it.
    As for the sequel - and I'm sure this will sell some tickets - Keith Richards is signed on to play Sparrow's dad.

Draft saved Draft deleted