1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

DEA makes surprise inspections on NFL teams

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Batman, Nov 16, 2014.

1. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Delma Huddle.

2. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Yes, but as I understand it the "violations" of this law that are being pursued are reflective of the very, very unusual circumstances of the NFL -- namely that players are treated by physicians' outside of those physicians' licensed territories.

This may indeed be a violation of law, but I have a very, very hard time seeing how team doctors should not be, as a general rule, exempt from this.

3. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

I suppose this could affect college team physicians as well, to a lesser degree.

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I was responding to cran, who said there needs to be oversight over what players take because teams have incentives to try to convince players to stay on the field. Let's say the DEA has found nothing. ... and the doctors prescribing pain killers to football players are doing it legally (not likely, but could be). ... I thought that cran was saying that there still should be some authority other than the players, given authority over what they take. Was I wrong about that?

We had gotten a bit away from what the DEA is doing -- enforcing laws that may or may not be being violated with regard to prescribing certain drugs that someone put on a controlled substances list. If what the doctors and trainers are doing is somehow not kosher given the rules created for those controlled substances, and you simply believe, "Well they are violating the law and the law is the law," you'll get no argument from me. They should know the law regarding that stuff and if they are choosing to disobey them, they should know there might be a consequence.

I personally don't agree with the law, though -- at least how restrictive it is. I personally find the way that put some drugs (but selectively not others, actually) on a controlled substance list and nanny people over them to be wrong. In this case, they are guys who can earn a decent paycheck -- if they load themselves up with pain killers in order to be able to play with is a really physically demanding sport. The choice should be theirs, in my opinion. They are capable of asking questions, investigating side effects, how addictive they are, etc. and making an individual decision. I personally don't see why they shouldn't have that freedom.

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

This is the kind of stuff that could end up costing Goodell his job. Nobody actually cares about how many players beat up their women. But if the NFL suddenly develops a weakness in stopping law enforcement or on Capitol Hill with TV and tax exemptions and such, that's going to fall on his head. They wouldn't be dealing with this crap under Tagliabue.

6. doctorquant

I'm not in disagreement with you, but these more substantive questions simply aren't/weren't in play in this DEA action. The DEA investigated only visiting teams. Presumably the drugs those teams' medicals staffs had at the ready were also at the ready for the home teams, but administration by the home team staff would have been copacetic simply because of where it occurred. That's a pretty picayune area of concern, to my thinking, given the obvious gap between the intention of the law and realities of this very, very unusual line of business.

7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Maybe the DEA agents are all betting heavy on the home team.

8. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

OK, gotcha. I was skimming a bit and misunderstood.

9. The Big Ragu

Yup. The home team doctor (if he is licensed in the home team state) can prescribe schedule II drugs in those states -- opioids like percocet or oxycodone. But in a lot of states (is it all?), if you are doctor licensed in another state, you can prescribe and dispense medications -- EXCEPT those drugs that were put on a list as Schedule II by the Controlled Substances Act. I agree that it is a picayune enforcement action, if that is what the DEA is after. But I'd go a step beyond and say that we shouldn't be regulating those drugs that way in the first place. These are drugs that have medical uses. But because they can be addictive, they have put in place nanny restrictions that are trying to protect people from themselves. I just don't agree that that is what our laws should be doing.

10. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

No, I think the clubs need stronger oversight in the way they dispense painkillers because there is an inherent conflict between their interests and the players' and the clubs have demonstrated pretty clearly over the years that they will act in their own self-interest 99 percent of the time. There is too much potential for players to be coerced with so much at stake for them.

11. doctorquant

I am not sure of this, but it's my understanding that the doctors are, to a large degree, independent contractors. Yes, they have a business interest in keeping the team happy, but they have a larger business interest in preserving their own reputations. To say nothing of their professional/ethical obligations. So, assuming it's set up that way, there's your safety valve.

12. The Big Ragu

cran, of course the interests of the team and the interests of the players might not align. But you just said something about coercion, and I assume you don't mean the players being forced to pop pills with a gun to their heads. The players aren't idiots. They can ask questions. They can do a cost-benefit analysis for themselves based on the answers they get -- and whether they believe them. The nature of football is, if you can't get it done, you risk getting cut in favor of someone who can. That isn't a coercive notion. It's reality. So yeah, that should enter into the decisions of players about whether to get shot up or take pain killers. The players have a choice -- some of them may not like the options inherent in that choice, but that is the way life is. I think the teams and the players should be left alone to deal with the reality of pro football, and given that reality, the players should be free to make individual choices for themselves about what to take or not take

dq, The team doctor gets paid by the team, as you said. You can't assume anyone's idea of their "ethical obligations" doesn't begin and end with that. I have known a couple of NFL team doctors -- the ones I knew wanted the perks that come with it. You get to brag. You get free advertising. That affiliation does more for a reputation than any worries about what people might think about how they treat the players. People aren't aware and they don't care. Most fans, if they even thought about it, want the players shot up and popping pills to stay on the field as much as the team does.

The real "safety valve," as you put it, shouldn't be some third party, whether it is a doctor (who may or may not have good judgment) or someone who cran feels comfortable with dictating what someone else can and can't do. It should be the players making choices for themselves. The NFLPA has surveyed its players and found that none of them trust the team doctors. I know former NFL players who have verified for me that is how most players think. So the reality is that they all know already that the teams don't necessarily have their longer-term health interests at heart. From there. ... they need to make choices.

Draft saved Draft deleted