1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

De la Hoya/Pacquiao

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Smallpotatoes, Dec 7, 2008.

1. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/capress/081207/sports/box_de_la_hoya_pacquiao_3

All I can say is holy fucking shit.
    Oscar was slow, ended up getting tagged with everything Pacquiao hit him with and couldn't get any offense going.
    Now I'd like to see Pacquiao vs. Ricky Hatton or Juan Diaz.

2. FishHack76

FishHack76 Active Member

De La Hoya is OVER - RATED!!! Clap, clap, clapclapclap

3. WSKY

WSKY Member

And it cost $50 so I read about it online ...

4. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

De La Hoya just looked ... old. He was thicker, and his pants were worn higher, so he just looked like the old man down the street who pulls his pants up to his nipples. He couldn't land anything, his lunges were pathetic, and it was really just sad to watch.

Pacquiao rocked it. From the get-go. And De La Hoya had no answer whatsoever.

5. jeepster

jeepster New Member

Good. I hear he's thinking about retirement now. Hopefully I won't have to see him in the ring again.

6. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

. . . yeah, but there's always another con, right around the corner. Huge underdog price, on the winner. Nice cash, boys.

7. Was de la Hoya ever good? I mean, top-of-the-line good, or was he Mark Breland 2.0?

8. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

He was very, very good FB. But this fight was the classic "three fights after ya shoulda retired" vibe going on when it was announced, let alone in the ring.

9. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

He wasn't thick. He weighed in at 145 and came in at 147.

Very slow and very done. He has never had great foot technique and last night, it really was exposed by the speed of Pac-Man. Thankfully it was stopped before there was serious damage. I thought Pac-Man was holding back a little in the last round so he didn't hurt Oscar permanently.

Oscar was very, very good but never great. He deserves credit for fighting pretty much everyone that was out there, unlike Mayweather.

As for the Pacquiao/Hatton fight, Mayweather tore through Hatton with hand speed. Pacquiao has hand speed and power. He will brutalize Hatton.

10. I'm hard-pressed to think of a single de la Hoya fight that I'd call memorable.
    Pancamo, little help?

11. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

His fight against Ike Quartey, unbeaten at the time, was a pretty good rumble.

The first Chavez fight was pretty significant too.

12. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

The Fernando Vargas one was a pretty good scrap.

Draft saved Draft deleted