1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

De La Hoya/Mayweather fight = Richest Ever

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chuck~Taylor, May 9, 2007.

1. nafselon

nafselon Well-Known Member

Why? Winky has a 25-pound weight advantage. It would be a slaughter.

2. RAMBO

RAMBO Member

DAMN!!!

3. Jones

Jones Active Member

Winky is fighting Bernard Hopkins.

I believe Mayweather when he says he's done, except for a possible rematch with Oscar.

That would be a pointless fight, though, in a lot of ways. It would be the same result. What more could Oscar do? What could he change about his strategy that would make him more effective?

Fact is, Mayweather is probably the best defensive fighter of his generation, top ten all-time. He doesn't have much power, but he has great shoulders, and he can jump in and throw an upper cut and get out, all without the other guy (Oscar, in this case) being able to wave even a jab back at him.

Was the fight an all-timer? No, we won't be talking about it years from now. Most fight fans would prefer Hagler-Hearns. I would have, too. But the fight wasn't a bad fight. It just wasn't bloody. It was fencing.

Most of the writers in Vegas were, however, talking about it as the last gathering of clans -- as though we wouldn't be seeing each other ringside anytime soon.

Glad I got one last hurrah in there, though.

4. ogre

ogre Member

So I guess Bernard is not staying true to that promise about retiring. Too bad for his health. Good for me though, I will always watch him fight.

Does Mosley lurk around waiting to fight the winner of Hopkins/Wright? Not that I would watch Nutrasweet get beat by Winky again. OK, maybe a week later on HBO.

5. Jones

Jones Active Member

There was word going around Vegas that for Hopkins and Shane to claim the equity stake in Golden Boy Promotions they've been promised, they each have to fight five times under that banner. I can't believe either of them have that many fights left in 'em, but I guess we'll see.

Draft saved Draft deleted