1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

De La Hoya/Mayweather fight = Richest Ever

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chuck~Taylor, May 9, 2007.

1. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

Set all time record for buys(was set by Holyfield/Tyson ear fight) and revenues(Lewis/Tyson fight).

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/boxing/news/story?id=2865349

2. ogre

ogre Member

Bronze Boy's take was, what, $45 mil. Yo.

3. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

The fight sucked, though.

4. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

This was one of the better jobs of marketing an event I've ever seen. Then the fight delivered on the expectations.

5. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Didn't see the fight, but I've read stuff that says the 24/7 show may be the new way to hype the big fight. Who's next for Mayweather, though? Assumably there's another fight with de la Hoya, but outside that?

6. Big Chee

Big Chee Active Member

7. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

The fight sucked unless you, like, actually appreciate the artistry of real boxing.

8. Big Chee

Big Chee Active Member

Personally, I felt they nullified each others offensive skill set, a credit to their superb defense, and it lead to a less than entertaining fight.

9. standman

standman Member

Very true. Steve Nash looked more like a fighter than Mayweather or Oscar. I never saw a loser of a big fight smile more than Oscar. He wasn't hurt, wasn't marked up real bad, was able to wave to his pretty wife and he knew he was about to pull down a huge wad of cash that he didn't have to share with Don King or Bob Arum. I guess I would be smiling too.

10. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

Hey, the 24/7 show was pretty damn entertaining.

The fight was, as Bill Simmons accurately put it, a glorified sparring session. And boxing's still dead, too.

11. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

It was a good fight, not a great one.

12. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

I would love to see Mayweather go against Winky Wright.

Draft saved Draft deleted