1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

DC Tourist Advice

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 21, Jan 20, 2011.

1. 21

21 Well-Known Member

So here's the wrap-up, for the next SJers making this trip.

First and foremost, thanks to everyone for all the great advice, especially the restaurants. Some great calls there. Add Filomena to the list if you're going to Georgetown. We had planned to go to Cafe Milano until my pal at the White House told LinZee he once saw Beyonce at Filomena. Switched reservations immediately.

Two full days were not enough, we did so much but barely did anything, it seemed.

If you know anyone who knows anyone who knows anyone who knows anyone working in the White House, have them hook you up with someone who will take you into the West Wing. I have been a lot of cool places in my career, but this might have been the most unexpectedly amazing place I have ever been. Hard to describe the impact of standing in the doorway of the Oval Office, just another door along the hallway. Look out the window, there's the girls' swingset. Down the hall, outside the Roosevelt Room, a cabinet with numbered slots...for cell phones. None allowed. Apparently the Congressional leadership always tries to sneak them in.

Amazing to realize the president is just on the other side of that door, having lunch in his private dining room. Also amazing to see how nice and laid back everyone is. It was Saturday, lots of folks in jeans. Everyone says hi, very warm, including the Secret Service guy who guards the president.

Didn't get to see the White House Press Briefing Room, undergoing some renovation, and didn't get to see inside the Situation Room, since it was filled with Security Council personnel. Wouldn't have been allowed in anyway. I loved this: On the door of the Situation Room, it actually says 'Situation Room.' Struck me as something from a Bullwinkle cartoon.

Monuments--Go at night. We went twice, once in the rain at 11 pm, it was empty and wonderfully eerie. Went again two nights later, around 9 pm, the tour buses were rolling in. Loved the loudmouth citizen who stood at the base of the Lincoln Memorial, looking out toward the Wash Monument, and hollered at his friends, 'Whoa! Like from Forrest Gump!'

The capitol tour was fine but dull, Congress not in session. Didn't get to the Supreme Court. Also did not get to the Holocaust Museum, disappointed. Next time.

One more thing about the Newseum, which mentioned above: Wicked noted the cost of admission, which is steep. They should give free admission to accredited journalists, my opinion. If you do go--and you must--leave a lot of time. We had about 2 hours there, and I could have spent two days. Still emotional about it.

Overall, I'm upset at myself for never doing this before. Amazing to see the city and its sites through the eyes of a teenager; she will never forget.

Thanks again to all for the feedback and information, you guys are amazing. :-*

2. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Thanks for your reports. Really put me there. I'm glad you had a great trip.

3. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Headed back to DC in April.

Anyone here gone to see the space shuttle since it's arrived?

My sister's going and she did the power-down on it and hopes to see it again. I've never been to that arm of the Smithsonian; what else is out there?

My sister hasn't been to DC in at least 10 years. I'm going to have to review this thread for her.

The Nats are playing the Cards, though. That's something I'd like to do.

4. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

That ticket may be tough. There are a lot of Cards fans (and fans of every other team) in town.

There isn't anything to do out at the space center. It's out at Dulles and is at least a half-hour drive from the city. No public transit goes out there, IIRC.

Draft saved Draft deleted