1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

DC Tourist Advice

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 21, Jan 20, 2011.

1. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Need some help here. I've been to DC maybe 100 times, but never as a tourist....which apparently I will soon be. Taking my niece--the lovely LinZee--as a gift for her 16th bday, although my sister would prefer I just invest in a nice Prada handbag. And we have to go the end of next month, which sounds incredibly raw and cold.

I have a couple of friends in the White House, so that's covered, but I have no idea how to set up this trip, what's worth a visit, best area to stay, a good hotel in a good location, good places to take a teenager to dinner, etc etc. In short, anything you can tell me will help.

In general, I hate crowds, lines, tourists, and sleet. On the other hand, I love my niece and this is what she wants to do, so we're doing it.

Help! And thanks.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Spend most of your time in Anacostia. :D

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

http://www.hamiltonhoteldc.com/

Great joint, great location. Walk to the White House, a block from the subway, close to a lot of other jank. Home of the first SportsJournalists.com outing.

If you hate crowds, lines, tourists and sleet, you're going to have a blast. A blast.

More later.

4. Layman

Layman Well-Known Member

Along these same lines, we're taking our 10 year old nephew on his first DC trip, this June. Figuring about a 6 day trip. We'll stay in the city over the weekend (better hotel prices downtown), while staying outside of town during the week (again, better hotel prices. Also, can visit places like Arlington & Mount Vernon).

Any recommendations on a good area to hotel search, outside (or, on the edge of) the beltway? On the days we head into DC, we'll just take the Metro in. Thus, proximity to a Metro stop is pretty key.

5. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

I, too, am going next month, so I'm watching this thread, too.

What are the public transport options in from the airports?

6. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

From Dulles into DC, there's no Metro. Yet. So you'll have to cab it.
    There's a Metro stop at National.

7. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

What's the boilerplate for a DC visit? Especially for a 16-year-old.

National Gallery

National Archives

White House

The Mall from the Capitol to the Lincoln Memorial, inclusive

Smithsonian, all, (esp. Air and Space?)

Jefferson Memorial

FDR Memorial

Arlington

Lots of others, I'm sure. Is there some sort of comprehensive, VIP-tour that gets someone in everywhere? Group tours that jump the lines?

8. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

I'm in the middle of some work right now and I'll write more detailed suggestions later, but for now, for hotels, I'd look at the W, which is right around the corner from the White House, or the Hotel Monaco at 7th and F, NW. Both of those hotels are well located for all the DC touristy-stuff and seem like they'd be up to 21-type standards.

More later.

9. 21

21 Well-Known Member

I'm going to check out Moddy's hotel tip, also have to look at Hiltons and Westins (I'm a whore for points, what can I say). Any recommendations on those?

The W is a great call, will check that out.

She's a decent basketball platter, thinking of maybe going to a Georgetown game if possible.

I really want to go to the Newseum, has anyone been there? Worth it?

10. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

I loved the Newseum. In my mind it's the best of the museums in DC by a wide margin. Then again, I had high expectations for the Smithsonian museums and was very disappointed by just about all of them.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

The Washington Hilton in the Adams Morgan district is good. Big convention hotel so you can maybe get a good rate. Near the zoo. Convenient to Metro.

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I think you have to do the Holocaust Museum, too.

Draft saved Draft deleted