1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

DC sniper execution date set

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Hank_Scorpio, Sep 16, 2009.

1. Sleeper

Sleeper Member

I worked at the Home Depot where Linda Franklin was shot and killed. It was while I was in college, and I was a part-timer and basically could come in and grab an evening shift whenever I wanted. Since it was Columbus Day and I didn't have classes, I almost went in that night. Luckily my laziness got the better of me and I watched Monday Night Football at a friend's place instead. It was the 49ers-Seahawks game where TO pulled the Sharpie out of his sock. Can't remember at what point in the game I heard about the shooting, but I do remember my parents somewhat frantically calling me from my brother's house in Kansas.

Anyway, the ensuing week was the easiest of my career at that Home Depot. Nobody came to the store. We went from being one of the busiest locations in the area to being a ghost town until Muhammad and Malvo were arrested. People were terrified.

2. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Ha, my roommate at the time was still going in there after it happened. We lived right down the street from there at the time and he's a contractor, so he was there every day. So, beyond just the proximity, I also had that to ponder.

3. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

Actually, that makes sense, Michael. I think a lot of us feel that way about the death penalty. There have been way too many cases of innocents being executed or on death row for me to be real comfortable with it. But this is one guy whose death I have no problem with.

4. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

I'm opposed to the death penalty, period (and even more so with juveniles). But I realize most people feel we need it and it's not going away in my lifetime.
    It doesn't bother me that he's gone and if it helps some of the relatives of the people he killed heal, that's a good thing, but it wouldn't have bothered me if he just stayed in prison for the rest of his life.

5. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

My last day in Arlington in '98, I dropped in there to pick up some new switch plates for the condo. I can visualize that spot, and the apartment across the street, perfectly. Really brought the story home to me.

6. Diego Marquez

Diego Marquez Member

HS sports events were moved to military bases for security purposes, or played 100 miles from the schools in secret. Anyone get stuck in one of those random road blocks while they looked for a white box truck?

7. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

Anybody else watch the Discovery Channel special last night about how they eventually caught them.

The part that fascinated me the most was when the public info officer wanted the TV vans lined up end to end at a press conference during the middle of it all. The press thought it was to allow everyone room to work. In reality, she wanted a shield.

8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

For a second I thought I clicked on the NFL thread and Daniel Snyder had sold the Redskins.
    Carry on.

9. IllMil

IllMil Active Member

Sorry, but shit like this and this makes it impossible for me to support the death penalty. I don't give a shit about this guy being killed, but when you're using the same law to kill possibly innocent people, that's fucked up. Regardless of the validity of those two cases, it's a guarantee we have executed innocent people. Even if we only killed one, that's too many. I can't imagine a worse way to go than that. Seriously. It's worse than being randomly robbed and shot in the street.

Coupled with the fact that I find life imprisonment to be worse punishment for the worst scumbags, I don't like the death penalty. And fuck the three hot and a cot shit. I got bored of cable TV when I was 10. I don't think a lifer is having a great time in prison because Real World is on tonight and he had a corn dog for dinner. It's a fucking miserable existence. I don't like being in Wal-Mart for 20 minutes, I can't imagine what it feels like to sit in prison with 60 years ahead of you, knowing that you are NEVER getting out, never going to a pizzeria, a baseball game, or getting pussy again.

10. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I think you are confusing classic American opinion with classic SportsJournalists.com opinion. Most Americans support it.

http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/documents/GallupPoll1009.pdf

I'm not into arguing the death penalty, I can't think of a more useless waste of time. But just pointing out that opposing it, except sometimes, sounds more like many on SportsJournalists.com than all America.

11. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

They don't get pussy, but most do get some ass.

12. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

It sounds like the liberal Hollywood argument.

Draft saved Draft deleted