1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

DC sniper execution date set

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Hank_Scorpio, Sep 16, 2009.

1. 21

21 Well-Known Member

I will never forget you posting about that, in the earliest days of this board...and everyone telling you to get in the house and stay under the bed.

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

And don't get me started on the top-notch investigation.

White guy in a white box truck?

How about two black guys in a POS Caprice Classic with out-of-state plates?

I will never forget the night a truck driver spotted them at a rest stop.

3. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

That rest stop is now closed for renovations. I make a point of pointing out that place every time we drive that stretch of road to D.C. or Blatimore from PA.

4. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Now THIS is someone who deserves all the rancor in the world when he dies.

5. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

That was a Ponderosa Steakhouse I've stopped at that exit many times. I was living in Vienna, VA at the time. I am shameful, yet probably correct, at running and ducking from many locations that were near interchanges. It was fucked up. I lived near the Pentagon when 9/11 happened. I just wanted everything to be over. I hate that period of my life.

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

And his son/accomplice should have taken the needle too.

7. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

I agree with that. Perhaps it's personal, perhaps it was the coverage, perhaps it was too scary after 9/11...but fuck them. Fuck them. They terrified everyone in the DC vicinity. You can't compare it to 9/11, obviously. But it was the last fucking thing that city needed. Fuck them. Rant over.

8. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

I say put Mr. Muhammad to death as soon as possible.

9. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

The initial shooting of the liquor store owner had eyewitnesses saying it was a blue or maroon Caprice.

10. Drip

Drip Active Member

But is putting him to death really closing the book on this guy? He gets three hots and a cot until it's needle time. He's got AC, heat, color TV, sex... This guy is living out the American dream behind bars.

11. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

But that connection was never made until M&M called (repeated times) to a hotline telling them to look at an Alabama shooting.

From wiki...

"Much to their shock, police discovered that the New Jersey license plates issued to Muhammad on the 1990 Chevrolet Caprice had been checked by radio patrol cars several times near shooting locations in various jurisdictions in several states, but the car had not been stopped because law enforcement computer networks did not indicate that it was connected to any criminal activity and they were focused exclusively on the "white van."

On October 3, D.C. police stopped the Caprice for a "minor traffic infraction," two hours prior to the shooting of Pascal Charlot, after which witnesses reported seeing a Caprice near the scene.

On October 8, Baltimore city police investigated a dark blue Chevrolet Caprice with a person sleeping inside parked near the Jones Falls Expressway at 28th St. in Baltimore. The officers were concerned that the driver's license was from Washington state and the vehicle tag was from New Jersey. Despite the fact that the vehicle was suspicious enough for them to investigate, and the fact that the vehicle fit the description of a vehicle associated with the shooting in D.C. five days earlier, the officers did not question the occupants extensively, nor did they search the vehicle.

Authorities were quick to issue a media alert to the public to be on the lookout for a dark blue Chevrolet Caprice sedan. For the public, as well as for law enforcement agencies throughout the region, this was a major change from the mysterious “white box truck” earlier sought based upon reported sightings."

12. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

93, the connection wasn't made because the cops blew it.

September 14 2002 closing time - Silver Spring MD - The shooters try out their sniper car for the (first?) time outside Hillandale Beer & Wine store on a Saturday night. The store clerk, Rupinder Oberoi, is shot once in the chest and survives, and the bullet is too fragmented to match with later shootings. But police later confirm this shooting is linked to Muhammad/Malvo. A 19-year-old clerk at the nearby Safeway grocery store told police he saw a dark-colored Chevrolet Caprice leave the parking lot immediately after the shooting. "It was like an old police car" the witness said.

I would think the cops would have been looking at every random shooting in the area and this one had definitive eyewitness accounts of the car.

The cops focused on the box trucks was to narrow-minded.

Draft saved Draft deleted