1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

DC recommendations

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Regan MacNeil, Feb 23, 2020.

1. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Oh, and the Holocaust Museum if we think our son can handle it.

Vombatus likes this.
  2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

If you go to the back of Mount Vernon and look straight across the river - that's where I lived for four years.

Are the Cubs in town?

3. Severian

Severian Well-Known Member

If you have to question if your son can handle it, then it might not be worth visiting right now. Go when he's a bit older, so he can fully appreciate how horrific the event was.

Vombatus and Dyno like this.
  4. Regan MacNeil

Sadly, they are not.

5. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

For a quick bite near the National Mall with kids, we did &pizza on E street when my brother and family were in town and ate at a lawn near the Archives. Only one size pizza, though, so order just enough or be prepared to toss the leftovers.

For a dinner out, I second Jaleo.

6. Severian

Severian Well-Known Member

&pizza is a chain, if you're into that, OP. But there's better pizza elsewhere: Wiseguys, We The Pizza, etc.

7. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

It’s a tough one. We did with our kids at 12 and 9.
    The African-American museum is great, even tough the slave stuff on the bottom level is properly somber.

8. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

"Two must-do's in Washington, D.C.: You must visit the Holocaust Museum, and you must eat a corn dog at Chirpy's."

[​IMG]

justgladtobehere and Deskgrunt50 like this.
  9. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Baltimore is a dirty, ugly city.

playthrough likes this.
  10. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I went to the Holocaust Museum when I was 16 as part of a class trip. It was sobering as expected. Not sure I would have been prepared for it any earlier in my life than say age 14 ...

11. Regan MacNeil

Yeah, that's fair. We live within driving distance anyway, so we can go at some point in the future.

Draft saved Draft deleted