1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

DC recommendations

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Regan MacNeil, Feb 23, 2020.

1. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

My wife, 10-year-old son and I are going to DC for Spring Break. Our hotel is just north of the National Mall. We pretty much have the activities nailed down (including my second Nats game; first was courtesy of some great tickets from Moddy). Looking for some good food recommendations. Money's not really an object, tho we'd prefer to avoid anything north of $200 for a meal.

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I haven't been to Nats Park in years, need to get back this season. It is my understanding some good new restaurants have finally opened up around the stadiums but I haven't experienced that first hand. Yet. A friend of my son is the Redskins' chef, used to work at some DC restaurants. I'll try to get some suggestions from him - any particular kind of food you'd like?

3. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Not Indian. That's about it. Open to all other possibilities (my wife won't eat seafood, so a good seafood restaurant must also serve non-seafood).

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

He used to work at a very good steakhouse near McPherson Square but damn if I can think of the name of it. Expensive but not outrageous.

Regan MacNeil likes this.
  5. Monday Morning Sportswriter

Monday Morning Sportswriter Well-Known Member

Jose Andres’ Jaleo is a lot of fun. Small plates so lots of choices.

Near the Library of Congress, Good Stuff Eatery is great for fast-casual burgers and fries. Better than any Five Guys or similar I’ve ever tried.

Not food but if you’re looking for a museum that’s open after sunset, the National Portrait Gallery and Museum of American Art by the arena is about the only one.

6. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Didn’t do any fine dining because we’ve always gone with the kids. We liked Farmers and Distillers a lot, which was a 15 minute walk from the Mall. Also, strongly recommend Pitango Gelato, which was amazing.

7. Severian

Severian Well-Known Member

Food:
    Farmers and Distillers
    Capital Burger
    Unconventional Diner
    Pho 75, near Union Station
    Ted's Bulletin

Fun:
    Mansion on O St.
    A walk near the Tidal Basin
    Eastern Market, especially Captial Hill Bookstore

Avoid:
    Anything Chinatown. It's overpriced and overrated. There is better Asian cuisine away from downtown, mainly in Virginia.

Tweener and Regan MacNeil like this.
  8. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Does the Top Chef guy still have the pizza joint across from the Capital? It was good last time I was there.

9. Monday Morning Sportswriter

Monday Morning Sportswriter Well-Known Member

Spike Mendelsohn. We, The Pizza. Yes, he does. Also owns the burger place I mentioned.

Tweener and Inky_Wretch like this.
  10. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

Swing by the Comet Ping Pong pizzeria and
    say hi to Old Tony on the protest line out front.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  11. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Tasty Diner in Bethesda; total old school greaser, so tasty.

12. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Martin’s Tavern in Georgetown

Ben’s Chili Bowl

Draft saved Draft deleted