1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

DC during the holidays

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Freelance Hack, Nov 6, 2008.

1. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Looks like I'll be in Washington Dec. 14-16. Anything special for the holidays that I should check out?

2. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

The West Wing resume scatter ought to be cool.

3. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

They're reopening the American History Smithsonian a few weeks prior.

4. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Huge party at Moddy's on the 15th, I hear.

5. Hopefully there will be some snow for you. D.C. in the snow is beautiful.

6. Freelance Hack

Actually it looks like I'll be up there in a couple weeks instead of a month.

And, rather than staying at the Renaissance a few blocks from 1600 Pennsylvania Ave., I'll be holed up in Ashburn.

7. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Enjoy the strip malls up there!

8. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The White House and Capitol Christmas trees are truly nice.

9. Freelance Hack

Thankfully I'll have a rental car.

10. Hustle

Hustle Guest

You could always drop by and mock Dan Snyder and his lackeys...

Anyway, just down Rt. 28 is the Udvar-Hazy Center, the annex for the National Air & Space Museum. It's free to go there, but parking is $12. Among the exhibits are the Space Shuttle Enterprise, an SR-71 Blackbird, an Air France Concorde, the Enola Gay, and a tiny jet that was the first ever aircraft for FedEx. Plus there's a tower where you can see aircraft on final approach into Dulles, if you like that sort of thing.

There were some minor Civil War battles to the north in Leesburg; Manassas is about 12 miles southwest of Ashburn.

At least there's a Wegmans nearby, so you'll never go hungry. And, if you're there and you like to fancy yourself of a certain tax bracket, just up the street you'll find a Ferrari/Maserati/Lamborghini dealership.

11. cougargirl

cougargirl Active Member

If you get a chance, go see the National Christmas Tree. Also, be sure to take in any of the Smithsonian museums.

12. Drip

Drip Active Member

Also enjoy the strip clubs and the mugging you can get by the Greyhound bus terminal and the Capitol.
    Outside of that, enjoy the Chocolate City.

Draft saved Draft deleted