1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

DC Comics to make prominent hero gay - who will it be?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by MisterCreosote, May 22, 2012.

1. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Captain Marvel/Shazam/Billy Batson would be the most obvious choice.

2. doctorx

doctorx Member

Oliver QUEEN? Unlikely.

3. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Maybe Batson and Shazam have an unrequited love?

4. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

It's Aquaman, henceforth to be known as Rainbowman.

5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Alyssa Milano ‏@Alyssa_Milano

Marvel Comics' 1st openly gay hero, super speedster Northstar, set to marry beau this summer: http://apne.ws/LyPsUb /via @AP @heykim

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

@JoeBFDBiden

President Obama would love to officiate Northstar's wedding to he held somewhere in North Carolina this summer. :D #lovethegays

7. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I believe you are correct about Shazam/Captain Marvel. I think they changed how it works with him since the reboot, though, and I haven't read any DC books since.

Hawkman's entire story is about he and his wife being reincarnated over and over again as part of some curse. They have to suffer losing one another to death repeatedly. So I don't think it makes much sense for him.

Doesn't make sense for Hal Jordan, either, but it wouldn't be nearly as bad as Hawkman.

9. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

As much love as a man with magical superpowers can have for a 10 year old boy.

They could also give Cyborg a case of the gays. I read an earlier article that said DC was going to be putting a new and heavy emphasis on that character.

Batman Beyond has also seemed to imply that Dick Grayson/Robin/Nightwing might also have a case of the gays.

So that would be a pretty major character, who would tie in with Batman, but not one of the big three or any of the ongoing film/TV concerns.

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'm not a comic guy on any level. Is Northstar a prominent character?

11. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Sheeit, Robin's older, now. He's street-legal.

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I would think they would look for a character with a limited romantic history, which doesn't really fit Dick Grayson, who was involved with Barbara Gordon and the hot orange alien girl in Teen Titans (I forget her name).

Draft saved Draft deleted