1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

DC Comics to make prominent hero gay - who will it be?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by MisterCreosote, May 22, 2012.

1. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Pretty sure they'd want to avoid making their first male gay character a sexual predator.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

It would be pretty funny if it was Flash.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Hell, Flash might make sense.

No way it is Batman or Superman. Too popular. They don't need to do it with either one.

Wonder Woman would make sense, but as TSP pointed out, they already have a lesbian hero. Two of them if you count Rene Montoya (Batwoman's former lover who became The Question before the reboot. I don't think she has shown up since). Vandal Savage's daughter, Scandal, was also a lesbian. She was in Secret Six, which was a team of villains as protagonists (along with Bane, Deadshot, Catman and others), but she as also apparently lost to the reboot.

Green Lantern and Green Arrow don't really make sense unless you want to say they were REALLY overcompensating with the ladies.

Shazam seems like a likely candidate to me, too.

Seems like they are following Marvel's lead on this one. Marvel has been promoting a wedding for a while and all indications are it is Northstar and his lover. Northstar was one of the first mainstream gay characters in comics, though he's obscure enough that I hesitate to call him mainstream. I still remember one of the columnists at my college paper making a big deal out of it. They actually ran a full-page column. Of course, they completely ignored the bus strike that was causing massive problems on campus, but hey, it's not like having the former president of the primary gay and lesbian group on campus run our editorial page had anything to do with that. :)

4. Rufino

Rufino Active Member

The actor who played Flash on the TV show got another 5-10 minutes of fame by coming out, so maybe that inspired them.

5. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

What's everyone staring at?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Is Shazam the old Captain Marvel? As a kid I was always confused by DC Comics having a character named Marvel.

7. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Got to be Green Arrow.

8. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Mark 2010 is about to throw out his extensive comic book collection.

9. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I'm surprised the government hasn't seized it.

10. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Shazam does not lead an everyday life, right? Now if you made Billy Batson gay, that might work better.

No way is it Batman or Superman.

Is Hawkman iconic enough?

11. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

What did Wertham call it?

"A wish dream of two homosexuals living together."

http://www.experiencefestival.com/a/Batman_-_Homosexual_interpretations/id/4898240

Oh, and:

I'll say Green Lantern. Prominent enough to have a movie, but could use the boost in sales.

12. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Actually, it would be great if Shazam was gay but Billy Batson was straight.

Draft saved Draft deleted