1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

DC-Baltimore Radio Vet Craig Heist Hospitalized

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Flying Headbutt, Jan 9, 2008.

1. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

He had a seizure while covering the Wizards game on Tuesday and remains unconscious and breathing with a ventilator at Washington Hospital Center in the ICU. A heart attack or stroke have been ruled out, but doctors still aren't sure what's wrong. Besides being the hardest working man in radio, he's one of the best guys I've come across.
  2. Sleeper

Sleeper Member

Geez, that's awful. I hear him on the radio all the time, and I sat in front of him at a game he was working in December. He definitely came across as one hard-working dude.
  3. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I wish the best for Craig. One of the best in the biz.
  4. markvid

markvid Guest

Is he one of those who is a stringer and sends reports to multiple outlets or does he work for a station?
    That asked, get well...soon!
  5. Hustle

Hustle Guest

As others have said, Heisty's a good guy. I'm praying for the best...
  6. forever_town

forever_town Active Member

If I'm not mistaken, he works at WTOP and he's not a stringer.

I'd be stunned if I'd just heard him on the radio (which I have). I've met the guy a couple of times in person and even hung out with him while watching the Maryland-Oregon State game at a local bar. Great guy. Hope he's OK.
  7. Flying Headbutt

There isn't an outlet in the world he doesn't string for around here in addition to his work at WTOP. You'll hear him on ESPN Radio, Fox Sports, AP Radio, and countless others, plus you'll see him on some local sports tv shows around here from time to time. Like I said, he's the hardest working man in radio that I've ever met. And he's a stupendous guy.

BTW, latest I've heard is that he's resting and they're still running a bunch of tests to figure out what's up.
  8. Flying Headbutt

Latest update is that he's still only semi-conscious really in the hospital, still on a breathing tube in the ICU, but on the road to recovery. They aren't sure what happened yet, but he should make it back and recover from this eventually.

Also, not once on any board I've seen news about him mentioned has anyone had anything less than glowing to say about Heisty. He's easily one of the most well-liked guys in the area and a lot of people are pulling for him. Lots of people can smile in relief, well, at least a little bit, now.
  9. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Is he full-time, Headbutt? I know a lot of radio folks aren't, and I hope he has insurance to help him take care of the massive medical bills.

If not, could you pass along info if there's some fund being set up to help him out?
  10. Flying Headbutt

Yes, he's a full time employee with the company he works for, on top of all the stringing he does. No idea though of what his benefit situation, or that of his wife's, is though.
  11. forever_town

forever_town Active Member

I talked to Craig in one of his first appearances back to work after the stroke. He lost quite a bit of weight when I talked to him.

Reminded me of my own bout with cancer.
Draft saved Draft deleted