1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dazed and Confused at 20

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Inky_Wretch, Mar 6, 2013.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

My gosh, it's been 20 years already!?! If some Hollywood idiot tries to do a reboot or, worse, a 20-year reunion sequel I will burn that town to the ground.

http://www.esquire.com/blogs/culture/dazed-and-confused-20th-anniversary-15175511

2. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Cinema legend.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

First time I saw that movie on TV I was convinced it was shot in the 70s and was stunned I hadn't seen it before.

Kind of sad that the "kids of the 90s" seminal HS film will be American Pie.

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Perhaps too much of the threadjack, but I vehemently disagree with this. That movie is funny as hell and stands alongside Fast Times, Ferris Bueller etc.

Anyway, to Dazed and Confused ... that's what I love about the movie, I keep getting older, but it stays the same age.

5. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

Put it this way. As a high school sophomore when I first saw it, and someone who didn't do pot and really didn't party that much, I thought it was one of the more true to life high school, coming of age or whatever else you want to call it movies I had seen. Still holds up in that light. I can watch it today and it might as well put me in the early 90s for nostalgia purposes despite being set in the 70s. Still holds up and eons better than American Pie.

6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I was Class of '76, so I was in the class graduating at the time of D&C (May-June 76).

Pink & Co. were mostly '77s (the seniors-to-be).

And yes, the movie is dead-on balls accurate about the mid-70s.

A sequel .... ehhhhh, I dunno.

Don't see how it wouldn't immediately devolve into complete cliche and parody.

7. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

But both movies were made in the 1990s.
    To draw the 'seminal' comparison between the generation portayed, you have to wait 10 years to see if someone makes a nostalgia piece for 40 years old about what it was like going to high school in the 1990s.

8. Gehrig

Gehrig Active Member

"I only came here to do two things, kick some ass and drink some beer."

"Looks like we're almost outta beer."

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I saw it multiple times in college in the theater and when it came out on video, someone bought it and it ran on what seemed to be a non-stop loop in my fraternity house...

I mean, granted, I was the target audience when it came out, but man, what a great, great movie...

10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Could get depressing.

[​IMG]

11. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

The Esquire piece was a good read about a great movie, but they're wrong about Dazed and Confused being the ultimate Gen X film.

That was Pulp Fiction, by a mile.

Championing Pulp Fiction over, say, Forest Gump actually meant something in 1994, as stupid as it sounds now.

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I don't think Pulp Fiction was a "Gen X" film on any level... Just about everybody saw Pulp Fiction.

Dazed and Confused was a cult film by a director who was completely associated with all things "Generation X" although I hate that label... It was one of those films at the time that I don't think was doing too much business with anyone over the age of 25... Our parents definitely weren't seeing it in the theaters...

It's also kind of hard to call a movie about the 1970s a "Generation X" film.

Draft saved Draft deleted