1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Daytona in March suggestions

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by EE94, Feb 21, 2009.

1. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Not to Cactus-jack this thread, but that's not true at all.

If you're not picky about which part of Phoenix you want to stay in, you can Priceline your way into a really nice hotel in Tempe or Glendale or even Scottsdale for less than $75/night. (And contrary to some East Coasters' opinions, it doesn't take long to get from Tempe to Peoria or from Glendale to Mesa if you time it right.)

IMO, Arizona spring training is far superior to Florida, except for the lack of beaches. And this coming from someone with many great memories of Osceola County Stadium and the Disney complex stretching back over 20 years.

2. DirtyDeeds

DirtyDeeds Guest

Buck, I think he was referring to the west coast of Florida. But good points, nonetheless. I'd love to get out to Arizona for some games, if not for the economy. And I like the beaches!

3. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

I've lived in St. Augustine for six months now. The city attracts many older and elderly tourists (surprise, surprise), but there are a good deal of families who have enjoyable extended visits as well, and weddings/honeymoon couples thrive here because it's an old and romantic destination. It's a quiet town, probably the most historic city in the United States, lots of tourists, very beautiful looking, nice beaches. There is a college pretty much in the middle of the historical district, but it's a small private school and there's not much partying. Two guided trolleys that are very interesting and useful, I think the passes are good for 3 or 4 days and are about 15 dollars (Old Town Trolley is regarded as the better one). They're nice because it stops at all the hot tourist spots across the city (Fountain of Youth, Ripley Believe it or Not, Flagler College, Old Jail, San Sebastian Winery, Castillo de San Marcos, etc. and even comes with a beach shuttle). Traffic can be be a pain in the ass and parking is a mess in the city, so I'd seriously consider the trolley.

Other places to check out are the World Golf Hall of Fame (with an IMAX theater...the place is beautiful), Alligator Farm, the two outlet malls near I-95, and the ghost tours are pretty cool. St. George Street is a must - it's always bustling and fun and filled with tons of random shops. You'll always find live bands in bars or restaraunts around here, especially on weekends. Food is pricey here but generally very good. Tour Flagler College and its cafeteria, the place is breathtaking. Lots and lots of fast food options. Adventure Landing could be good for a few hours with children. Scarlett O'Hara's, Panama Hatties, and Mardi Gras are some of the more lively places to have a good time (especially for young adults). Great golf and golf traditions in this city. Tons of Gators and Jaguars fans...every other team is nonexistent. Horse and carriage rides are everywhere and residents are used to living beside the horses, which looks like a fun activity. Stop in one of the welcome centers and they have plenty of information, brochures, maps, and probably some of the coupon books that are everywhere.

It was an uncharacteristically chilly winter here, but it's been nice (not too hot, not too cold) for a few weeks now. Pretty unpredictable, but typically sunny and about 60 or 70 or sometimes 80 during the day. I can always tell the difference between the weather in St. Aug and Orlando - it feels a lot warmer and more intense to me in ORL despite the brisk 2-hour drive. I don't think you'll mind the comfortable weather in St. Augustine in March though...it won't be disgustingly hot, but it's won't be cold either.

Might be a good idea to fly into Jacksonville (I always find excellent prices on flights to JAX from Priceline), explore that city if you wish, head south to St. Augustine, Daytona Beach, and Orlando in that order. The 4 cities are each about 45 minutes from the other. Haven't been to Daytona Beach much. Orlando obviously is the ultimate family getaway with more to do for families than anywhere in the world.

4. EE94

EE94 Guest

Boston (and everyone else)
    really appreciate the input.
    Have settled on a place near St. Augustine - I prefer history to Mickey - and anything above freezing will seem balmy to me
    thanks all

Draft saved Draft deleted