1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Daytona in March suggestions

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by EE94, Feb 21, 2009.

1. DirtyDeeds

DirtyDeeds Guest

I think it's South Padre Island. And I prefer Lake Havasu! Actually, never been to either one. But I've been very hammered a few times in Daytona back in my college days.

2. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Yep. However, it used to be hella worse up until city officials "suggested" to MTV in the early 1990s that it not come back anymore. Daytona Beach is not nearly the Spring Break destination it used to be; the bulk of the rowdies now go to South Padre Island and Panama City Beach. I believe those places have more of a separation between the tourist district and residential areas, whereas in Daytona the hotels and houses are right on top of each other. It was never a good mix.

Black College Reunion in Daytona (March 20-22) is less rowdy than it used to be, as well ... BET's Spring Bling concert went to South Florida starting in 2006 and the crowds went with the TV network.

All that said, New Smyrna Beach is just south of Daytona Beach (same county) and doesn't get the heavy crowds and drunken idiots of Spring Break, who tend to congregate in the hotel-heavy stretch from East International Speedway Boulevard (U.S. 92) north to Seabreeze Boulevard in Daytona Beach. Completely different scene in NSB, much more laid back.

3. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Never did the Astros. Always struck me as kind of depressing. Disney's not awful. It's just not spring training. Don't go expecting the spring training environment, because it's not there.

If you hang on until April, though, Jackie Robinson Ballpark in Daytona is my favorite FSL park. It's the only non-spring training park in the league, so it's smaller than the others, and it draws pretty much the biggest crowds. Manual scoreboard and everything.

4. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

The water will be chilly, but Florida in March will be perfect . . . 70s and 80s every day and you're still a couple of months away from the rainy season. Easter's not until April this year, so you should be OK on prices.

NASA postpones the shuttle launch every other day, but if it goes up during your stay, make SURE you get the family there.

5. Tommy_Dreamer

Tommy_Dreamer Well-Known Member

If you decide on Daytona or anywhere near there and you venture over to see the Astros in Kissimmee let me know. I've been covering them all spring.

6. DirtyDeeds

DirtyDeeds Guest

Astros park's not bad. Been there several times, and it's a far better experience than Disney. Haven't figured out yet if it's Braves fans (no offense) or the atmosphere, but nobody pays much attention to the game. I've been to Turner Field, and it's a similar vibe.

7. Tommy_Dreamer

Tommy_Dreamer Well-Known Member

I just love how open the area is to the fans. There's no one chokepoint for autographs out there. There's plenty of opportunities for everyone to get autographs. Although I do love how Valverde does his signing. He won't sign anything for someone more than once unless he knows you're a fan and that you've been out to Spring Training on more than once occasion.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

If you want to stay on the beach -- someplace reasonably inexpensive -- and go to baseball, I would recommend Cocoa Beach/Cape Canaveral.

Daytona in March is no place to take the family. St. Augustine is kinda cool but it is far from the spring training sites.

Cocoa is a quick drive to east or south to several places. It's next to the space center, etc.

You could go to the west coast, but near spring training sites that tends to get pricey.

9. EE94

EE94 Guest

Thanks all
    looking at St. Augustine, because stupidly hadn't even considered college kids on break
    I'm hoping the weather will be okay and not too concerned about swimming in ocean or watching baseball
    A heated pool and some golf will be just the ticket, and still close enough to hit Cape Canaveral and - maybe - Disney
    sound right?

10. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

St. Augustine should work fine. Lots of golf around there. Disney is about a 2-hour drive, the Cape a little less than that. Have fun!

11. markvid

markvid Guest

I was gonna say a case of your favorite beer and a case of condoms.
    The family part ruined my fun.

12. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

DING-DING-DING.

Excellent call, OTD. Flagler Beach may be one of the best-kept secrets in Florida. Then again, it may not be, considering Flagler County is the fastest growing county in the state.

If you go to Daytona, hit the Hyde Park Steak House. Good, good grub.

Draft saved Draft deleted