1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Daytona in March suggestions

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by EE94, Feb 21, 2009.

1. EE94

EE94 Guest

Thinking of driving down with the family in mid-March to the Daytona Beach-St. Augustine area

Want to rent a condo or house.
    Not too fussy about "luxury" accommodation. More concerned with being outside than inside.

Any insight appreciated:
    - will the weather be decent, or do I need to go further south?
    - is the Gulf side of Florida warmer?
    - anyone stayed anywhere decent under $1000 a week they would recommend?

Appreciate any and all responses

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I had a GREAT suggestion from the thread title, until I read "with the family."

I'm of no help here.

3. taller hack

taller hack Member

with the family, stick more w/ st. augustine than daytona. st. augustine has great beaches, two outlet malls, good eating and lots and lots of history if you're into that kind of thing. i love the town.

4. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Still gonna be pretty chilly out (especially the water) in March. Can you push it back a month or six weeks?

5. EE94

EE94 Guest

are the odds greater of warmer weather a few hours south?
    Gulf side?
    Do I need to go as far as Fort Myers latitude?

6. NDub

NDub Guest

I went to Daytona for Spring Break a few years ago in March. Not sure what SB is like there now, but you'll probably run into a lot of college-age people who are likely drinking... heavily.

The weather was low 70s. Water was pretty chilly. It was sunny all week.

7. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I've never been farther south than Daytona, so I couldn't really tell you.

8. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

St. Augustine is fabulous. Be sure you don't wind up in Daytona during Bike Week (Feb. 27-March 8), unless, of course, you and your family are bikers.

9. DirtyDeeds

DirtyDeeds Guest

Weather in Florida in March is like it is any other time -- unpredictable. Generally several days in the low 70s followed by a couple in the mid 50s to low 60s. Usually warms back up very quickly.
    Loved St. Augustine for the reasons stated above and not sure I'd recommend Daytona, particularly if it's Bike Week/Spring Break (although I don't think that's 'til early April).
    I think the weather is pretty similar unless you go way south. The water will be chilly anywhere, but you might not think so depending on what you're used to. I prefer the west coast (I'm hitting the beach tomorrow!), but St. Augustine's a solid choice. And this is a pretty typical weather pattern:
    http://www.weather.com/outlook/recreation/outdoors/tenday/USFL0433?from=36hr_topnav_outdoors

10. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

Split the difference. Halfway in the middle is a little town called Flagler Beach. You could rent a condo across from the beach for very little money. You're 20 minutes from either Daytona Beach or St. Augustine.

March might be a bit chilly though.

11. DirtyDeeds

DirtyDeeds Guest

Good idea, OTD. The smaller places like that are always best if you're on a budget.
    And EE, any plans to take in some Grapefruit League games? There's plenty of options. Viera (Nationals), Disney (Braves) and Kissimmee (Astros) are all within 80 miles of Flagler Beach. FWIW, Disney is my least favorite stadium.

12. podunk press

podunk press Active Member

If your trip aligns with Spring Breakers, Daytona is a really bad place for a family to be.

Better than San Padre Island, however.

Draft saved Draft deleted