1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Daytona Beach officially sold

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by deskslave, Aug 12, 2008.

1. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Re: Daytona Beach officially for sale

The sale is now official, to those HarborPoint dingbats.

Should be complete by the end of the month; layoffs appear likely.

http://www.news-journalonline.com/breakingnews/2010/03/judge-newspaper-sale-will-go-through.html

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/volusia/os-daytona-news-journal-sale-approved-20100323,0,6685680.story

2. Pencil Dick

Pencil Dick Member

Via Romenesko (Is it just me, or does the spin on this seem to negate the fact that a bunch of folks were laid off today?)

The expected new ownership of The Daytona Beach News-Journal informed all but 48 employees today that they would be retained.

The employees who were not retained were informed this morning and were offered a severance package, chief executive manager James Hopson said. The layoffs affected about 10 percent of the company's workforce of 470.

The change in ownership to Halifax Media will occur this week with Michael Redding becoming publisher on Thursday.

3. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

The new ownership will "retain 90 percent of the staff," according to the N-J.

"All but 48 people" will be retained.

It'd be nice if the story reflected the percentage of staff laid off since the beginning of this sorry saga.

http://www.news-journalonline.com/breakingnews/2010/03/new-ownership-will-retain-90-percent-of-news-journal-staff.html

4. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

I'll sign in for this one thread.

I've seen an unofficial newsroom layoff list; all but one of the people on the list are no longer listed on the NJ's newsroom contacts web page which seems to validate it, IMO. Included on that list are a handful of people who were probably going to leave anyway, along with the spouses of two sports staffers.

5. SportsGuyBCK

SportsGuyBCK Active Member

So who got the axe in Daytona Beach today?

6. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Apparently they whacked about a fifth of their staff today.

7. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

In addition to yesterday's cuts?

They're forcing employees to reapply and treating everyone as new hires, as well as making them sign draconian non-compete clauses that apply to any publication owned by either of the companies involved in the purchase.

8. 2muchcoffeeman

More like a tenth, and it was yesterday. A good many of them weren't going to want to hang around for the new management group anyway, including editorial cartoonist Bruce Beattie, and some (like executive editor Don Lindley) had left the company days ago. Among that group, it looks like many were singled out for culling by the new publisher, who a long time ago was the NJ's classified manager. The way Redding seemed to aggressively go after one spouse of the various the married couples on the editorial side has drawn some attention, too. The Davidsons encouraged marriages "in the building," apparently on the theory that it encouraged both spouses to stay longer.

9. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Yeah, those newsroom romances are always destined for great things.

I worked in one where a few of those relationships combusted on site.

The grapevine can be shaky. I stand corrected. Still a lot of casualties.

10. SportsGuyBCK

SportsGuyBCK Active Member

Any of the cuts come in sports?

11. 2muchcoffeeman

Not that I know of, but the wife of the AME/sports (who herself was the NJ's design chief) and the wife of one of his assistant sports editors (who herself was the NJ's food editor in the features office) are out of their jobs.

12. Drip

Drip Active Member

Obviously, the new boss doesn't like nepotism.

Draft saved Draft deleted