1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Daytona Beach officially sold

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by deskslave, Aug 12, 2008.

1. Hammurabi

Hammurabi New Member

Re: Daytona Beach officially for sale

None were in sports. Most were long-time employees. Another sad day there.

2. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Had to wait until after the race.

3. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Yep.

Not sure there's much left to cut in sports, though. Cuts in news, online, features and art departments. I was told a couple people quit; not sure if that's in addition to today's layoffs or considered part of the 9 jobs cut.

http://www.news-journalonline.com/NewsJournalOnline/breakingnews/layoff021709.htm

4. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

People I know there say no. Nine cuts, plus two who had already resigned.

5. Hammurabi

Hammurabi New Member

There will be a editorial staff meeting on Tuesday. Rumor is pay cuts or furloughs. Possibly a buyer.

6. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

One-week furlough in the second quarter. (Hourly employees can go day-by-day; salaried must take a full week.)

No more 401(k) contributions.

And not a pay cut, but a work increase: They'll go from 37.5 hours to 40 for the same pay.

And the lone bid for the company came in at $26 million. Stunningly low.

7. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

Hell, the Davidsons could raise that much and buy their share back from Cox.

8. 2muchcoffeeman

Which (I was told) came from Wicks Group, which owns Heartland Publications.

9. Drip

Drip Active Member

Wait a minute, wasn't Heartland talking about cutbacks recently?

10. 2muchcoffeeman

Nothing on this forum about it.

Not saying my source was correct, only what I was told by someone who's not part of the gilded class at the News-Journal.

However, the price quoted was less than 10 percent of what the company was (over)valued at in a 2006 court hearing and something like $120 million a broker claimed the company would sell for last year.

Cox apparently thought it was going to get a big windfall out of this and is still trying for it. Eh, not so much.

11. 2muchcoffeeman

The fire sale is apparently on.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/volusia/orl-daytona-news-journal-sale-042809,0,4057630.story

http://www.news-journalonline.com/newsjournalonline/breakingnews/deadline042809.htm

And congrats to the Sentinel on scooping the News-Journal on a story about the News-Journal.

12. lohengrin

lohengrin Member

Pardon my high school business education here, but won't this $26 million buyer still owe Cox the $100 million-plus? Or does Cox just get the $26 million and a wish for good luck in trying to collect the rest?
    There are some really dedicated people at this paper and, as usual, they probably deserve better.
    And by the way, the way things are going with Tribune, the Orlando Sentinel should probably start getting a template ready for reporting on its own demise.

Draft saved Draft deleted